JCB 2D

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
johney

JCB 2D

Post #1 by johney » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:32 am

hello folks,

I am the proud new owner of a 1978 JCB 2d .

I had a look when I got it but unfortunately it does not have a pto. However it does have a 4 in 1 bucket and the machine and cab bodywork is in very good condition. All windows present and working too. Even the gauges are all working. New indicators and lights and a very tidy machine. It was kept indoors the last 15 years.
i
however it cut out after a few minutes after unloading. Possibly air locked due to travel on lorry or possible dirty fuel agitated from tank got in.
The problem is I was using the hand primer for ages but could still only get air and bubbles at the bleed screw. So I reviewed the whole system and found a bad pipe which was taking in air. Replaced the pipe and changed fuel filters while i was at it, including cleaning out the glass jar thing. There was so much **** and gunk everywhere that I am surprised the machine had started at all. I disconnected and blew out all hoses and pipes and the diesel was very dirty indeed, even in the pipes! I let it run from the tank for a min and this is dirty also. I will have to address the tank issue as it must be full of ****.
Anyway, I got her started and moved in off the road.
She bust a pipe on the back actor, the one which operates the bucket, as the lorry driver was driving it down the ramp. He moved the bucket a bit unkindly and the force popped the pipe. I have taken it off and have a new one. i have put in new pipe and added 15 litres of hydraulic oil. It wouldn't take anymore and was overflowing up the funnel. I worked her a bit. What an experience, it may take me a while to get used to the controls! I could hear the pump whine so added the last 5 lites after a while. However its still very near the top almost at overflowing yet there is still the whine from the pump which would indicate the oil being low?
The front loader has lots of lift power but bad downward power. It cannot lift the front wheels off the ground. It simply lacks the power required to push downward as when I push the lever down it goes so far then the engine is under pressure. But having said that, it does have a huge lifting capacity...its confusing. I have so much to learn with this machine.
Next problem is how to pump the wheels as they are a bit down. I am 7 miles from a service station.What pressure should the rear wheels take?
Brakes are a disaster and the seller actually gave me some disc like brake things which he bought 15 years ago but never installed. It will be fun trying to figure out howto get them in!!

Many thanks lads, I appreciate the advice.

ps, its a leyland engine.

I'll get a picture up tomorrow if i can.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: JCB 2D

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:07 pm

Hi John welcome to CMN :wave: firstly your tyres, do you have an air compressor? If you do a tyre pump doesn't cost that much, I am not sure of the tyre pressures though but I am sure that somebody on here will be able to help you with that.
Yes diesel tanks do tend to get crap in them so make sure that the tank is cleaned as best as you can before putting more fuel in it.
I thought that JCB hydraulic pumps on their earlier digger loaders always tended to make a whine in operation; you may have overfilled your hydraulic oil tank reading what you have put, you may need to drain some oil off.
Again there are people on here who can offer you better advice than I can in regards to your hydraulic problems, good luck with your new acquisition and we look forward to seeing the photos of it. :thumbup:

Jeremy

TullyveeryClassicJCB
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:43 pm

The glass jar thing is the sediment bowl and it removes the most amount of dirt from your tank. Keeping it clean and regularly cleaned will usually solve any dirty fuel tank problem. The sediment bowl on these JCB's were usually a glass jar at the bottom and an aluminium top with an internal cone shaped thing. They do the job ok but work even better when there are two as a tandem with one having the aluminium top thing replaced with a fuel filter.

Regarding your loader issue I think you need ram seals.

Regarding your whine from the pump. Is your feed hose to the pump collapsed? Where your loader is connected to the chassis there are three mushroom-like things in front of your cab. These are tank breathers. The two outer-most are the breathers for the hydraulic tank. Do they look ok? Sometimes the caps get lost or removed and they then clog up with dirt and cause air locks which would starve your supply of oil to the pump.
William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

Topic author
johney

Post #4 by johney » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:24 pm

gentlemen, many thanks for the prompt replies.

No Jeremy, unfortunately I don't have a compressor.

I will check what you say william tomorrow. Where exactly is the feed hose to the pump?

Forgot to mention, the power steering is very erratic also, but I thought that was only a symptom of low hydraulic oil.
When the pipe burst, quite a bit of oil leaked out, so I just assumed it would need quite a bit again. Also, after replacing pipe, when I put in the oil, I assumed that after the air was worked out of the said pipe, it would need a top up of oil again. The clear level indicator pipe inside the cab shows no oil inside, but I don't know if this is working or not.
Working the back actor, it is very jerky and rather weak. Also, when I swing it to the right it is extremely slow and it sounds like air escaping when I move it in this direction.
Regarding the loader issue, when I tested the machine a few weeks ago before buying it, it was able to lift itself and there was no whine from the hydraulics as far as I remember. And the lifting power I tested with yesterday was a huge tree, weighing at least a few ton and there were no issues in lifting.
If I need to drain out some oil, where can I do this? I have worked the machine for over an hour but is it possible the is still some air in there?

Thanks again

TullyveeryClassicJCB

Post #5 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:22 pm

The feed hose is the big broad hose with two hose clips on the right hand side as you are facing it but definitely you need to check the condition of your breathers.
William

JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

Topic author
johney

Post #6 by johney » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:07 am

some pic as promised.

Tully, its not the pipe as far as I can see.

One breather is blocked. They both have the mushroom head on but when removed one is rusted in. Ideally it should be drilled out. Whats the best way of doing this while preventing debris from falling in the hole.
Thing is, after its first workout I didnt start it for a few days. When I went to start it a few days later it would not start again!! I have diesel at both bleed screws and also when I crack the injector diesel comes out if I turn the engine. But she still will not start. Getting slightly annoyed now with it.

Cheeers for all the helpful comments lads
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:55 am

Thanks for the pics Johney :thumbup: I cannot picture in my mind the breather bit if its anything like the ones fitted onto the old lorry diesel tanks that were pretty standard for the time I would suggest trying an 'easy out' used for removing broken studs etc. It would save you from getting any debris into the tank.

Jeremy

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #8 by Mrsmackpaul » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:52 am

Welcome mate we buy these toys with all sorts of dreams and even when they give us grief with still love them, some times we swear we are gunna get rid of them because they are stuffing us around once we finally figure out what the problem is we fall in love with them again LOL

Sounds to me like there might be some type of blockage on the oil supply side going to the pump as it sounds like its full of air or lacking oil supply

It might pay you to get some drums and buckets and drain the oil and have a good look never know there might be a rag in the tank or something and once you get the suction hose off or pipe you can have a really good look at the whole show but either way sounds like oil isnt getting to the pump
Once you sort that problem out I feel the rest will all go away

good luck with it all

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

TullyveeryClassicJCB

Post #9 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:16 pm

Regarding the not starting. Are you getting enough diesel to the injectors? Is there plenty of smoke coming from the exhaust. The rotary injector pumps on these yokes are notorious for having fuel stops that stick in the off position. Try giving your injector pump a tap with a hammer or a blunt object.

Drilling out the breather will do no harm. The filings will be caught by the strainer. I would still try and wrench it out. From memory its a 5/8 or 11/16. A small stilson with a pipe for extra leverage should shift it.

Absolutely lovely digger by the way. One of these 2D's is on my wish list. Hopefully some day soon...........
William

JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

topkit

Post #10 by topkit » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:59 pm

Your non starting symptom sound like one i had although my 3C mk2 fuel guage was slightly out and i ran out of diesel, so 1st thing i id was changed the fuel fiter and clean the glass bowl out, i also decided to fit a new lift pump while the fuel system was open ith allthis done i put fresh iesel in the tank and the machine would not start obviously you need to bleed the system which i did but still it would not start, the next part may be what you need to do, there is a rubber hose that comes off he diesel tank on the right hand side (when you are sitting in the digger) it goes to the fuel line to the injectors, i pulled this rubber hose off the tank and no diesel came out so i blew down the pipe as soon as i did this i heard a plop which was the blockage in the pipe falling back into the tank and within seconds diesel was flowing out of the pipe, after i connected back up and bled again the machine started and never gave me another problem. Where abouts are you based.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”