Project8 3CX fan belt replacement.

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Scooby
Flag: Great Britain

Project8 3CX fan belt replacement.

Post #1 by Scooby » Thu May 21, 2015 6:24 pm

I had a brief search but couldn't find what I was looking for. I am about to fit a replacement fan belt and a spare onto a Project 8 3CX. I've drawn blood already. :twisted: It looks just like my tractors insofar as I take the pump coupling off at the crank pulley and then fit them. Is there an easy way to hold the crank pulley while I undo the bolts that hold the UJ onto the pulley ?

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Six up front .............................means plenty of grunt.

Image Image

martyn williams

Re: Project8 3CX fan belt replacement.

Post #2 by martyn williams » Fri May 22, 2015 9:46 am

A lot of machines have this arrangement and can be a right pain to change a belt.What I used to do is flick the engine on the starter till all bolts are axcessable with a spanner have been slackened so they can be removed by hand.Also fit two belts, keep one cable tied clear of the drive and fan so and it can be used as a spare and make it much quicker to change in future. If the belt is worn but still intact, use the fan to rotate the engine, (but keep the belt tight as it will just slip on the pulley ), to get at shaft bolts being carefull not to catch your hand or cause radiator damage.
Martyn

martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Fri May 22, 2015 9:46 am

A lot of machines have this arrangement and can be a right pain to change a belt.What I used to do is flick the engine on the starter till all bolts are axcessable with a spanner have been slackened so they can be removed by hand.Also fit two belts, keep one cable tied clear of the drive and fan so and it can be used as a spare and make it much quicker to change in future. If the belt is worn but still intact, use the fan to rotate the engine, (but keep the belt tight as it will just slip on the pulley ), to get at shaft bolts being carefull not to catch your hand or cause radiator damage.
Martyn

Topic author
Scooby

Post #4 by Scooby » Fri May 22, 2015 10:28 am

I have done plenty before. my ag. tractors have the same arrangement so know about fitting a spare as mentioned in my initial post. Never put one on this machine before and it looks a right pig to do. Especially if the bolts have been done up with an air spanner. Just wondered about the best way to hold the pulley or pump shaft. I usually put a pair of stillsons on other machines but can't get them in on this one.

Image Image

martyn williams

Post #5 by martyn williams » Sat May 23, 2015 6:22 pm

Can you jam the U J with a screwdriver / small bar / another spanner ?

martyn williams

Post #6 by martyn williams » Sat May 23, 2015 6:25 pm

Lock up engine on starter ring with a prybar ?

Topic author
Scooby

Post #7 by Scooby » Sat May 23, 2015 6:50 pm

B100 LOADER wrote:Lock up engine on starter ring with a prybar ?

I thought about that but not sure if there is an inspection hole anywhere and I sure as Hell aint going to be taking the starter motor off. It's actually all done. I managed to get a thin long cold chisel in between the yokes of the UJ on the pulley end and trap it against the frame. But a pig of a job. Had to get the chisel just right and of course had to be moved for each of the 4 bolts and the only way I could get to them even when I had locked it up was from the front, i.e. under the oil cooler and the radiator. Then there are lots of pipes and cables in the way and I had to use a knuckle joint on the 5/8" socket and 2 long extensions.

The bloke who designed that ought to be made to change every fan belt on every machine. He might then go back to the drawing office and design something that doesn't entail giving a blood donation and a lot of swearing. :twisted:

Image Image

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”