JCB 3C Mk3 Steering Problems

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
WILL_I_AMS

JCB 3C Mk3 Steering Problems

Post #1 by WILL_I_AMS » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:39 pm

When it is started up the steering is fine, but after 1/2 hour usage the steering becomes very heavy and notchy in the steering wheel itself. We have just topped up the hydraulic fluid with about 15 litres.

TullyveeryClassicJCB
Flag: Great Britain

Re: JCB 3C Mk3 Steering Problems

Post #2 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:24 pm

Sounds like your steering pump strainer is clogged up.
William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

Topic author
WILL_I_AMS

Post #3 by WILL_I_AMS » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:30 am

TullyveeryClassicJCB wrote:Sounds like your steering pump strainer is clogged up.

Thanks for your reply, would you be able to guide me through the steps to unclog it please.

TullyveeryClassicJCB

Post #4 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:45 pm

Unclogging it is the easy part. The difficult part is blanking off the supply of oil from the hydra chassis. You'll need to find out the size of the thread and buy a blank for it. I was lucky in that I have a spare hose that I have blanked off at one end. Once you've got a way of blanking the supply of oil off, slacken the union on the pump side of the strainer first, then you slacken the union on the hydra chssis side of the strainer. Blank off the supply of oil. After this you will have the strainer case in your hand. Undo the four bolts on the strainer casing to remove the strainer. To clean the strainer I just use an air line and blow it clean. Only in extreme circumstances such as a digger that has sat for yonks with no oil would you need to use parts cleaner or tetrachloroethane.

Once its cleaned and reassembled you should consider how it got clogged up in the first. Did the contaminate appear to resemble paper mache? If so then its likely to be because your hydraulic filter is degrading and should be replaced urgently. Otherwise, very quickly, your steering strainer will clog up again.
William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

Tillywolves

Post #5 by Tillywolves » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:35 pm

Make sure you hve enough fliud in the first place as well. My steering went first, due to low fluid, and needed over 40 litres, and I bet it will accept few more.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”