jcb 3d backhoe

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
elliot

jcb 3d backhoe

Post #1 by elliot » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:20 am

g'day everybody
i'm new to the forum and still finding my way round

I've recently bought and old jcb 3d mark 2 backhoe for use round the property i live on ,and was just wondering if you guys knew or had any experience with these machines and could give me any tips and pointers with using it ,and fixing it up
cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: jcb 3d backhoe

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:48 am

Hi Elliot welcome to CMN :wave: you should find plenty of advice here for any help required with your JCB 3D, nice to see that the machine is still working. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
elliot

Post #3 by elliot » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:24 pm

cheers mate
i'm shure i'll have plenty of questions over the next few months ,as i slowly work through all the little and big things that need doing to old girl

but i was wondering if anyone knew the best way to change /clean the hydraulic filters because its creating a bit whine when being worked and surges every now and again

TullyveeryClassicJCB
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:51 pm

Hi Elliot. When you say surge what is it exactly that surges? The whine is of course hydraulic oil starvation. The hydraulic filter can be changed with only the loss of about a gallon of oil, however, there is also a hydraulic oil strainer under the step and cleaning this will require the draining of the hydrachassis.
William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

Topic author
elliot

Post #5 by elliot » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:14 pm

cheers
and when a leaver for the loader controls is pulled back it sometimes delays for 10 or 20 seconds (i have had longer) then its like it suddenly releases and surges ( jumps up in the case of the loader), where as the back actor just can be painfully slow some times and can also just decide it wants to go on strike for a few mintes

and so where is the hydraulic filter located then , and is it a mesh filter (clean and refit) or a paper or disposable item?

essexpete

Post #6 by essexpete » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:22 pm

It does sound like it starving of oil/drawing of air. You might also find the oil moisture contaminated which will not help (perhaps not where you are :D )

TullyveeryClassicJCB

Post #7 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:41 pm

The hydraulic filter is paper and is behind a door on the opposite side to the steps. The hydraulic strainer under the steps is a steel mesh cylinder shaped thing.

However, it sounds to me like you are low on hydraulic oil more than anything else.
William

JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

Topic author
elliot

Post #8 by elliot » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:14 am

no worries and yep theirs not to much moisture around where i live (typical south Australia ) but i dont know much about what the machine was subjected to in its previous life apart from the old owner used it to put all the irrigation in for his vineyard, then parked it in a shed for a good many years ,until i came across it so moisture may of found its way into the hydraulic system ,

and thanks for the info on the filters i have checked the oil level and shes full , so i'll pull the filter on the weekend and see what it looks like and hopefully the oil doesn't look to bad and all it needs is a new filter

and also how should the old girl drive ?(its a shuttle shift with a 4spd box) that gets round ok but it seems like it slips under load so is their anyway to adjust it or service it?
i have had a look round for a workshop manual but cant seem to find one
cheers

TullyveeryClassicJCB

Post #9 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:00 pm

Your digger has the Brockhouse Build 3 transmission so yours should use ATF a red oil. Is the oil level good? Is the oil colour good? Your transmission will have an oil filter which may need changed.
William

JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

essexpete

Post #10 by essexpete » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:03 pm

Probably would not hurt to change engine and torque oils (or at least drain what you can out of the latter) whatever they look like.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”