jcb 3c2 rusty leaking hydraulic pipe

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
richardq

jcb 3c2 rusty leaking hydraulic pipe

Post #1 by richardq » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:36 am

Hi there,
my old 3c2 has blown another hydraulic pipe :( but this time it is a steel one. It is one of the pipes supplying hydraulic oil to one of the front bucket rams. As usual, I can't repair it in situ as the leak is behind the pipe on a bend and to compound matters I can't remove it intact without removing one if the main lifting ram pins which is totally seized. Should I cut it out and replace entire section with flexible hose (inc tee) or hire oxy torch to heat bushing with seized pin and repair/ replace metal pipe? Not worried about appearance but mainly cost. Thanks Rich

essexpete

Re: jcb 3c2 rusty leaking hydraulic pipe

Post #2 by essexpete » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:30 am

Is this one of the pipes running under the loader arm? I suppose the answer is to measure up what you need in flexible pipe and fitting and get a price for the job. Compare that with the time/money spent taking the pin out and trying to repair old steel pipe. If it is a fracture you might weld it but if it is corrosion it might be difficult and blow somewhere else. The other thing might be a correct part from a breaker.

Topic author
richardq

Post #3 by richardq » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:06 am

Thanks, I didn't think of the checking local breaker. I'll probably go the flexible hose route as it does look rusty all the way down. I've since researched removing stubborn pins and it seems a huge hassle. My only question is there a downside to a long flex pipe instead?

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:58 am

richardq wrote:Thanks, I didn't think of the checking local breaker. I'll probably go the flexible hose route as it does look rusty all the way down. I've since researched removing stubborn pins and it seems a huge hassle. My only question is there a downside to a long flex pipe instead?

The only downside to the large flex pipe is that you will need to ensure that it is secured properly to prevent it from moving into a position where it may become damaged so if you can secure it on the steel mounting for the old steel pipe then I would add some large cable ties additionally along its length where it rests to ensure that the pipe is secure.

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:44 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:
richardq wrote:Thanks, I didn't think of the checking local breaker. I'll probably go the flexible hose route as it does look rusty all the way down. I've since researched removing stubborn pins and it seems a huge hassle. My only question is there a downside to a long flex pipe instead?

The only downside to the large flex pipe is that you will need to ensure that it is secured properly to prevent it from moving into a position where it may become damaged so if you can secure it on the steel mounting for the old steel pipe then I would add some large cable ties additionally along its length where it rests to ensure that the pipe is secure.

Jeremy

And perhaps run a small piece of old inner tube around where you tie/fix it and anywhere where it might rub. (You could also spend more £ and have the pipe made with a protector).

Jeremy Rowland

Post #6 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:56 am

essexpete wrote:
Jeremy Rowland wrote:

Jeremy

And perhaps run a small piece of old inner tube around where you tie/fix it and anywhere where it might rub. (You could also spend more £ and have the pipe made with a protector).

Spot on Pete :brravo:

Jeremy

frachar

Post #7 by frachar » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:52 pm

Hi Richard,

Excellent advise from Pete & Jeremy.. If its any help to you I have dismantled alot of 3c's down the years & unlike alot of breakers I keep everything off them.. Should you decide to replace the steel pipe with an original I would have one off & ready to go. As the guys have said correctly securing & protecting a flexible hose should do the trick. :)

Regards

Francis

Topic author
richardq

Post #8 by richardq » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:04 pm

frachar wrote:Hi Richard,

Excellent advise from Pete & Jeremy.. If its any help to you I have dismantled alot of 3c's down the years & unlike alot of breakers I keep everything off them.. Should you decide to replace the steel pipe with an original I would have one off & ready to go. As the guys have said correctly securing & protecting a flexible hose should do the trick. :)

Regards

Francis

Thanks Francis, I just sent you a pm.
Richard

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”