JCB's and the law on the road

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Tillywolves
Flag: Great Britain

JCB's and the law on the road

Post #1 by Tillywolves » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:45 pm

Can someone let me know what I need to get my 3C on the road legally. Im not thinking about doing multiple roads trips, but there is a 300mt bridle path between our two pieces of land, and I wouldnt put it past our neighbour to complain. Im aware I dont need an MOT, and its going to be zero tax because of its class.

The JCB hasnt been registered with DVLA for some many years, although it has a registration plate. Is this going to cause any concerns with DVLA if I register myself as keeper?

Who would be the best people for insurance, judging as its not going to be used much on road ?

I take it that even if it doesnt require an MOT, it still needs to be "roadworthy" with wipers, lights etc working.

Any help or advice welcome....

Tilly

essexpete

Re: JCB's and the law on the road

Post #2 by essexpete » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:32 am

It will need to be insured and roadworthy and I believe you will have have to go to the DVLA with all the info you can muster to obtain the reg document. The last time we had a wheeled digger there was a charge for road tax as it was not considered agricultural.

jcb1968

Post #3 by jcb1968 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:30 am

You can tax it in the "limited use" class, which is free but can only travel less than 1.5km on the road.
I use Footman James to insure old tractors and jcb's for insurance driving on the road. But not for working on the road. You can use the machine for own use only.
1982 3CX4 sitemaster

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #4 by Tillywolves » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:27 pm

Directly off DVLA site... thanks.

"Vehicles used just for agriculture, horticulture and forestry

This includes tractors, agricultural engines and light agricultural vehicles used off-road. It also includes ‘limited use’ vehicles used for short journeys (not more than 1.5 kilometres) on the public road between land that’s occupied by the same person."

The electrics are totally shot on this machine, and I mean shot, plus the brakes need attention, and the windscreen is cracked. Looks like Ive got my work cut out a bit to get it roadworthy.

Thanks for your replys.

grant

Post #5 by grant » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:31 pm

I would say as long as the lights work and also a flashing beacon fitted and on the insurance front I had a quote from jcb insurance when I was looking to hire a jcb and a lad I know insured his for own use through nfu mutual for £200 for own use

jcb4cx

Post #6 by jcb4cx » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:58 pm

brakes are a must , along with brake lights and indicators ,beacon is only compulsory on dual carriageways although its better to have one most of the time
every village has one , is yours missing you

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #7 by Tillywolves » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:06 pm

Thanks guys. I was going to fit a set of those cheapy led amber strobes off Ebay for a tenner anyway.

Lets hope there isnt going to be any issues with DVLA, seeing as Im guessing its been off road for many many years on smallholdings.

agrimax

Post #8 by agrimax » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:48 pm

essexpete wrote:It will need to be insured and roadworthy and I believe you will have have to go to the DVLA with all the info you can muster to obtain the reg document. The last time we had a wheeled digger there was a charge for road tax as it was not considered agricultural.

I was able to change the tax class of my 3cx ,19 years ago,from digging machine to agri machine.Wonder if that cannot be done now? Maybe when the current disc expires,the powers in Swansea will want it changed back,now that us in NI deal direct with them instead of DVLNI!!

crofter 65

Post #9 by crofter 65 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:36 pm

I bought a old Ford 550 without a V5, it had not been taxed for years. I applied for a V5 in the normal way and had to pay £19, but had the machine insured so when the V5 was issued I got road tax right away, otherwise you would need to SORN as soon as you got the V5 the way the rules are now. mine was Agricultural Machine tax so it's free. depending on the age of the machine it may be exempt anyway.

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #10 by Tillywolves » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:40 pm

1977. I've applied for a quote for insurance off Cherished. Once I see how much its going to cost, I'll apply for the V5.

Still got a fair bit to do to get it road legal. Brakes, lights, and a new windscreen, and wiper.

I've been given a Britax amber beacon, that needs a new drive belt, so thats going to be fixed and wired in.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”