JCB 3C III popping out of gear inside trans?

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
pont463

JCB 3C III popping out of gear inside trans?

Post #1 by pont463 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:48 am

I just purchased a JCB 3c III, and it appears to be in pretty decent shape. BUT..I have a few issues, and am looking to get it all up to par before I really put the old girl to work. I have changed the oil and filters, for the fuel, engine, and hydraulics, but I haven't done the converter yet. I pulled the dipstick, and it looks as if the previous owner used hydraulic fluid instead of ATF fluid in it. This I need to change fro sure, but my biggest issue is with first gear. When the machine is put in first gear, and the shuttle lever engaged, it makes a loud popping noise that sounds like its coming from the rear end. Every other gear works good, it only does it in first. Forward and reverse is the same result. The noise could be from the trans itself, but it is loud, and the machine seems to pop out of gear. Its like the gear itself is broken or something. It actually wont move, it starts, then just pops out.. The shifter isn't moving out of gear, cause I checked that.. and ideas where to start? Thanks in advance..

essexpete

Re: JCB 3C III popping out of gear inside trans?

Post #2 by essexpete » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:16 pm

Just to clarify for some of the JCB experts on here: Does the machine have a small little shuttle lever and floor mounted hand brake or a large chunky lever and dash mounted hand brake? Either way it does sound like damage or wear in the main gearbox.

Topic author
pont463

Post #3 by pont463 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:02 am

This machine has a small forward reverse lever on the steering column, a hand brake on the left side of the floor behind the duel brake pedal. I have downloaded the manuals here, but still haven't seen this exact configuration in them.

Steelfab

Post #4 by Steelfab » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:46 pm

The transmission you have on your machine is the same as mine which has the forward/reverse lever on the left of the console and the handbrake on the floor which confirms that it has the Brokhouse torque convertor with the earlier Leyland transmission and axles as apposed to the later models with the JCB built axles. Im not an export on the gearbox but it sounds like the selectors are worn and the gear is slipping out, but will let someone who has more experience than myself advise on this. Parts will be available still to carry out any repairs

osubob24

Post #5 by osubob24 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:34 pm

I believe I have the same style transmission, however, I can't get mine to move. I was lowering the outriggers and when the rear tires hit the ground the backhoe moved forward. After shifting to neutral to stop it, I am unable to get it to move again. If I put it back up with the outriggers, the left rear tire (driver's side) moves in mid air, however I can't get it to move when the tires are on the ground.

When I bought the machine I was told I needed to "warm it up" before the transmission would engage. How can I get the machine to move?

hubert

Post #6 by hubert » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:14 pm

Worked on a jcb telehandler that needed to be run for about 20 minutes before it would move in any direction. The torque was removed and was reconditioned. That cured the problem. Not sure whether this is common across the board. Someone who has more experience of torques might have a different diagnosis. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

hubert

Post #7 by hubert » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:17 pm

Worked on a jcb telehandler that needed to be run for about 20 minutes before it would move in any direction. The torque was removed and was reconditioned. That cured the problem. Not sure whether this is common across the board. Someone who has more experience of torques might have a different diagnosis. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”