Steelfab 160/180 backhoe loader restoration

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Steelfab

Steelfab 160/180 backhoe loader restoration

Post #1 by Steelfab » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:54 am

Having had a 6 month rest after the restoration of my JCB 3C MK III, I dug out the Steelfab from storage four weeks ago and have started the long awaited restoration. The Steelfab had one previous owner from new who pruchased it in 1963 and it was the 12th machine off the production line and originally fitted with the Fordson Dexta engine which was later recalled and replaced with the stronger Internation B275. The owner passed away in 2012 and his wife contacted me as I had known them since I was 16 years old doing my first Steelfab digger restoration, and they always said that I would be left the machine as I took such an interest in it.

Since collecting the machine, I have been slowly acquiring parts for it and also were given a load of parts by Steelfab when they closed down some years ago. Luckily I managed to get the drawing for many of the bushes and pins so have the details for those which need to be made.

The machine was picked up four weeks ago and brought back to the workshop where I have stripped it completly down and so far rebuilt and re-sealed the transmission as it was leaking badly through onto the brake liners. New brake liners fitted and also rebuilt the engine, although when I removed the head I discovered a small crack in the engine block but luckily had a spare engine (off another Steelfab) so ended up rebuilding this engine which included new liners, pisons, rings, bearing and gaskets as well as having the injectors serviced.

The sheet metal work on the cab has been removed and both the frame and tin work shot blasted, filled and refitted waiting for top coat. Fibreglass roof and mudguards have had extensive repair and are now looking like new awaiting top coat paint.

Most of the hydraulic rams were leaking which I dont want to see when it is finished and were quoted around £550 each to reburnish!! Not paying this so have stripped seven rams myself and ordred new chrome piston rods which arrive on Wednesday. My local machinist will turn the ends for £15 each, so the total cost for the rods, seals and machining is less than £45 each ram which is a substantial saving of around £3,500!!

After a couple of days steam cleaning this week the tractor skid unit, chassis and front axle are all now spotlessly clean ready for shot blasting and painting. I have new stub axles, wheel hubs, bushes, bearing and pins so going to try and build these up tomorrow ready for fitting.

Identifying the original paint has taken some research but finally tracked down the sales manager from the original supplier who confirmed the colours and a good contact of mine is having special lead paint made as it was originally. All paint today is lead-free so this is a special mix as I wanted the colour to be exact.

Tomorrow I hope to get the loader arms bushes and pins removed and sent off for new ones to be made and remove the tyres from the rims ready for blasting.

It has been quite an intense four weeks of restoration but have made good progress and are about half way through the project and hope to get it finished by June to take it to some vintage rallies.

I will try and post some pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joes1989
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Steelfab 160/180 backhoe loader restoration

Post #2 by Joes1989 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:18 am

Looking forward to following this restoration! Your 3C MKIII is perfect!
Joe

topkit

Post #3 by topkit » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:08 pm

Wow well done Julian another great project that will look great, the 3c III you have done looks superb ( i like the video on youtube driving through the factory) i am sure that i have some pictures of a steelfab that i took a few years back, i will have a hunt around and post them on here.

topkit

Post #4 by topkit » Thu May 01, 2014 12:28 am

found 1 picture so far more to follow as and when i find them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Steelfab

Post #5 by Steelfab » Thu May 01, 2014 2:36 am

Thanks for the picture - the front shovel has lost its original shape due to the side plates and back board being cut down which I have seen on another Steelfab due to damage and wear. The loader arms otherwise look in tidy condition as do the wheels. The fibreglass roof is missing which isnt unusal as the four clips holding it on had a habit of coming off and the wind then blowing the roof off. This I fist discoved when transporting my first Steelfab on the back of a low loader and it blew off hitting a car and the lorry driver getting sued over it due to insecured load!

Topic author
Steelfab

Post #6 by Steelfab » Thu May 01, 2014 2:42 am

Steelfab yellow and red paint arrived today so no delay in getting the chasssis and skid unit painted and the colour looks really good despite the poor pictures. The loader arms, boom and dipper are being shot blasted tomorrow and hopefully the final fabrications work will be completed on the cab by the weekend so that can then be painted

Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu May 01, 2014 10:50 am

Looking superb Julian :claphands: :claphands:

Jeremy

kabouterl385

Post #8 by kabouterl385 » Tue May 13, 2014 5:43 pm

looks good

Topic author
Steelfab

Post #9 by Steelfab » Wed May 21, 2014 1:51 am

Restoration coming on well and in the past week have had all seven rams rebuilt with new chrome rods and new glands and fitted new end caps which I had from Steelfab years ago. The tipping link has been rebushed as very worn and all new pivot pins made for the excavator end. New wheel hubs and stub axles assembled with new bearings and seals which again I had from Steelfab and front axle pivot rebushed due to wear. Radiator has had a new core and loader arms, boom and dipper have all been shot blast and painted. The new steel fenders have arrived along with the side light cover and brackets and registration bracket. Tonight I stopped late again to shot blast some parts which are being zinc plated tomorrow.

The count down is on now to get it finished in the next four weeks in time for Cars in the Park show in Lichfield on the 5th and 6th July where I will also be taking the restored JCB 3C MKIII. Be good to see some other enthusiasts at the show as it was a great show last year

Topic author
Steelfab

Post #10 by Steelfab » Wed May 21, 2014 1:54 am

Restoration coming on well and in the past week have had all seven rams rebuilt with new chrome rods and new glands and fitted new end caps which I had from Steelfab years ago. The tipping link has been rebushed as very worn and all new pivot pins made for the excavator end. New wheel hubs and stub axles assembled with new bearings and seals which again I had from Steelfab and front axle pivot rebushed due to wear. Radiator has had a new core and loader arms, boom and dipper have all been shot blast and painted. The new steel fenders have arrived along with the side light cover and brackets and registration bracket. Tonight I stopped late again to shot blast some parts which are being zinc plated tomorrow.

The count down is on now to get it finished in the next four weeks in time for Cars in the Park show in Lichfield on the 5th and 6th July where I will also be taking the restored JCB 3C MKIII. Be good to see some other enthusiasts at the show as it was a great show last year

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”