3d halfshaft

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
gaz0203

3d halfshaft

Post #1 by gaz0203 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi, in new about here and after a little info, been offererd a 3d with a broken halfshaft, what sort if job is it to replace one?

Jeremy Rowland

Re: 3d halfshaft

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:07 pm

Hi Gary and welcome :wave: I have changed broken half shafts on trucks but never on a 3D I would imagine that once you have the wheel off the job should not be too awkward. I would guess that you would need to remove both half shafts so that you could push a long steel bar through the diff to push the broken part of the half shaft out, that is assuming it is possible to do that with the diff and also you may be fortunate to find that it's broken by the hub end which is even easier to get out. One thing you would need to do is to carefully clean out any debris from the broken shaft so they don't work their way into the diff and do more damage there. I would also change the diff oil to be sure that any debris are removed.
Perhaps another CMN member has done this job before or has more knowledge than me on the subject but I hope that what I have put helps. Welcome anyway and enjoy the site :thumbup:

Jeremy

philwheelton
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by philwheelton » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:50 pm

If your 3D has the Leyland gearbox you will have to remove the half shaft housing from the gear box, it depends where it is broken ,it will have a reduction gear which may be where it is broken , there are 3 bolts on the outer end if you undo them the remains of the shaft will pull out you, may need a puller to get the bearings off the old shaft . you can't push the old shaft out like a truck axle its not the same .

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:16 am

philwheelton wrote:If your 3D has the Leyland gearbox you will have to remove the half shaft housing from the gear box, it depends where it is broken ,it will have a reduction gear which may be where it is broken , there are 3 bolts on the outer end if you undo them the remains of the shaft will pull out you, may need a puller to get the bearings off the old shaft . you can't push the old shaft out like a truck axle its not the same .

Thanks Phil :thumbup: I knew somebody on here would know how to tackle the job :claphands:

Jeremy

Topic author
gaz0203

Post #5 by gaz0203 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:20 am

Many thanks Il see if i can strike a deal and have a go

Topic author
gaz0203

Post #6 by gaz0203 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:30 am

Also, what are the other gearbox options and how do i decipher which one i have? Ta

hubert

Post #7 by hubert » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:19 pm

If you have a BMC skid remove wheel and from memory you need to take out floor plates in cab. Remove large plate that faces towards back of machine. Inside there you should find split pin holding on a large nut that secures the half shaft. Remove pin and nut and half shaft should come out. Might be an idea to replace seals on half shafts as well. Probably need to drain out oil in rear end before removing large heavy plate. BMC usually had 10 speed gear box 5 low & 5 high. Hope this helps.

philwheelton
Flag: Great Britain

Post #8 by philwheelton » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:46 pm

hubert wrote:If you have a BMC skid remove wheel and from memory you need to take out floor plates in cab. Remove large plate that faces towards back of machine. Inside there you should find split pin holding on a large nut that secures the half shaft. Remove pin and nut and half shaft should come out. Might be an idea to replace seals on half shafts as well. Probably need to drain out oil in rear end before removing large heavy plate. BMC usually had 10 speed gear box 5 low & 5 high. Hope this helps.

You can remove the half shaft this way But if the shaft is broken how do you get the reduction gear out through the back plate to get the snapped off piece of shaft out ?
The other type of axle is the JCB bull gear axle and you would tackle the job about the same way if you need any more info pm I will give you my phone no
Phil

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”