Virgin 3cx owner

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
paddylad

Re: Virgin 3cx owner

Post #11 by paddylad » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:50 pm

Thanks for the feedback gents. I'm heading over to jcb tomorrow to pick up the service items, how often would I need to be greasing the machine or is it just dependant on amount of use? The handbrake is broken, I haven't had a chance to even look at it but if it's an easy job I'll pick up the bits involved for that too. I'm still waiting for my manual to arrive, would I need it for the handbrake or is it straight forward?

Jeremy Rowland

Post #12 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:57 am

paddylad wrote:Thanks for the feedback gents. I'm heading over to jcb tomorrow to pick up the service items, how often would I need to be greasing the machine or is it just dependant on amount of use? The handbrake is broken, I haven't had a chance to even look at it but if it's an easy job I'll pick up the bits involved for that too. I'm still waiting for my manual to arrive, would I need it for the handbrake or is it straight forward?

Greasing the machine really depends upon how often you use it; if it was a brand new machine being used daily on a tough job then it would not hurt to grease it every day (not that I would expect that to happen in reality most folk don't bother) but just consider the jobs you use it for so if you're excavating in any water consider greasing the back actor every day that you do use it in water to help prevent the ingress of water to the bushes and pins, if the machine is only rarely used then it will not require rigorous greasing.

Jeremy

Joes1989
Flag: Great Britain

Post #13 by Joes1989 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:33 am

At work I grease my 360 twice a week! Mainly the arm and quickhitch the first time then later in the week I grease the swing gear!

Like Jeremy said grease it as and when it's needed! Listen for any tell take squeaks as that's normally a sign of grease being needed!

topkit

Post #14 by topkit » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:14 pm

You will probably find that the hand brake does not work because the hand brake pads have fallen out, when i got my machine the handbrake did not work after crawling under the machine i noticed that one pad was missing they can be put in two ways from the top or from the bottom [if you are lazy] the problem is if you put them in from the bottom they can work loose and then fall out! But if you put them in from the top this can't happen have a look and you will see what i mean, once you have fitted them there will be plenty of adjustment on a nut which should give you a nice hand brake.

Topic author
paddylad

Post #15 by paddylad » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:02 pm

thanks for the info, i think i will tackle the handbrake issue tomorrow, i got the filters and oil today, how many litres of hydraulic oil would i need ?

topkit

Post #16 by topkit » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:53 pm

I think you will find if you are just changing the Hydraulic filter, that you will loose around 5 litres of Hydraulic oil. According to the 3cx handbook the total capacity for hydraulic oil is 127 litres, Tmanual also show the digger parked with the front loader on the ground and the bucket in the dump position then the backhoe folded in and resting on the ground with the legs down.

Topic author
paddylad

Post #17 by paddylad » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:06 am

thanks Topkit, i was changing the hydraulic filter today, but the filter i was given doesnt seem to fit. i opened the circular chamber at the side(it has about ten bolts) and the filter is quite a bit smaller that the one supplied in the service kit, is there two?

jcb1968

Post #18 by jcb1968 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:13 am

paddylad wrote:thanks Topkit, i was changing the hydraulic filter today, but the filter i was given doesnt seem to fit. i opened the circular chamber at the side(it has about ten bolts) and the filter is quite a bit smaller that the one supplied in the service kit, is there two?

The hydraulic oil filter is under the bonnet beside where you would fill with diesel!
Are you sure you haven't open the access hatch to the hydraulic tank on the side at the front ?
1982 3CX4 sitemaster

Topic author
paddylad

Post #19 by paddylad » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:24 am

It would seem so! I am feeling rather stupid now.

agrimax

Post #20 by agrimax » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:46 am

Sure when you're in there,clean the two filters anyway. There's the suction strainer for the hydraulics, and the power steering one.IIRC, the PS one should unscrew. Both washable.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”