Fuel tank cleaning

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Steelfab

Re: Fuel tank cleaning

Post #11 by Steelfab » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:19 am

I had an dreadful problem with dirty fuel on my 3C MKIII which I just restored (see previous posts). When I was working the machine a couple of months ago it broke down 8 times in one day and had to blow the fuel line through to clear the dirt back into the tank. During the rebuild I disconnected all the fuel lines, which I later repalced with new ones. and also removed the large union which bolts into the underside of the fuel tank (started motor side). The tank was full of heavy silt as well as the sediment bowl, and gauze in the lift pump so make sure you also clean this.

To access the fuel tank remove the fuel sender which is on top of the tank in the centre, which you can access by removing the dash board. There are approx 6 small bolts. I then inserted the nozzle of the steam cleaner and spent about twenty minutes steaming all the crap out whilst a flat hose (fire hose type used on sump pump) was fitted to the bottom of the tank union and washed it through. I then put an air compressor hose into the top of the tank to blow dry the tank. This worked well and now there is lovely clean red diesel in the tank.

There is a fine mesh gauze in the bottom tank union which was completly rotten on mine but I removed but didnt replace as they are no longer available but will only be refilling with clean fuel anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TullyveeryClassicJCB
Flag: Great Britain

Post #12 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:11 pm

Julian, the fuel tanks and outlet differ between a mk3 and mk2. I'm pretty sure the mk2's don't have the mesh gauze filter in the tank, would this be right? I found access to the large union at the fuel tank on my mk3's really difficult. In fact from memory my conclusion was I would need the engine out to get near it!
William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

Steelfab

Post #13 by Steelfab » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:35 pm

access to the union on my MK III was a nightmare and could get access to it when the machine was stripped down with the loader arms off and the air filter and all the wiring harness was removed. It was also very very tight and took some leverage and persuasion with a lump hammer to undo. Not sure about the MK II installation

Steelfab

Post #14 by Steelfab » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:26 pm

I have just received a replacement fuel tank filter gauze from JCB. The part number is 32/900800 but I also know the supplier who made it in the UK, so if anyone needs one let me know and I can send you the details

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”