Ford 550 leaking from converter

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
kafelsan

Ford 550 leaking from converter

Post #1 by kafelsan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:11 am

Hi,
I am thinking of buying a backhoe instead of my David Brown 880.

Have been and checking the Ford 550 -82 4wd. Looks to be a perfect machine for me, just the right size, however it is leaking oil from the torque converter, according to the seller started the leak after he had pushed it too hard. Leaks very fast, can’t test it.

Have heard / read about and what I can see, there is a lot of work to dismantle the Ford, is there anything special I should consider? I have also heard that it requires precision when to "compress" "front of the cab," and that it will screw the turbine later to avoid damaging it?

What can be wrong if it is not the converter seal?
What’s the worst case scenario?
Do somebody know the page with pictures where I can see how to take apart the Ford?

Thank you in advance
Fredrik

martyn williams

Re: Ford 550 leaking from converter

Post #2 by martyn williams » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:07 am

Ford 550's are easy to split, 4x 4 a bit more work involved but I would walk away from that machine and look elsewere.seal gone but if torque has over heated it could be an expensive and time consuming fix.I would go for a M F 50 B.I can remember we had a bit of bother with torque Fords, and they were brand new imported from Belgium in the early 1980's
Martyn

Topic author
kafelsan

Post #3 by kafelsan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:17 am

If torque has over heated, what do i need to change in that case? i have seen torque convertern online for 600$.

martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:59 pm

You would need to strip it down and check seals and casing etc for damage distortion.If you can get a good replacement that would be ok. To get at the convertor, Remove front bucket, prop up arms,remove drive shaft to front axle, put back hoe down, legs down but not jacked up. drain hydraulics and remove pipe off pump. put wedges between axle and nose of machine to keep front riged.Remove bonnet and fuel tank, dissconnect battery ,remove starter, pack under gearbox area just to support it .put large trolley jack and pack under sump, jack side frame just a litle to support it remove frame bolts two each side, if these and the bolts and packing blocks are tight you may need to adjust jacks on sides slightly .drain off torque housing, remove bell housing bolts but make sure machine is level at ALL times.the front half of the machine should wheel forward but make sure that front wheels are kept straight at all times and that pipework and cables are not caught up,
The engine and front of machine should roll forward easy to expose torqoe convertor and flywheel area. Make sure that every thing is packed before working on convertor for removal.
It should take a morning to part the 550, but its best to do this job on level ground,concrete floor is best as its important to keep everything level.I used axle stands to support side frame one each side.Note when splitting bell housing the gap should be the same at all times during removal indicating everything is packed level.If you fail to do this it may cause damage to machine and yourself. Best to have a helper on this job for safety
Martyn

Topic author
kafelsan

Post #5 by kafelsan » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:38 pm

B100 LOADER wrote:You would need to strip it down and check seals and casing etc for damage distortion.If you can get a good replacement that would be ok. To get at the convertor, Remove front bucket, prop up arms,remove drive shaft to front axle, put back hoe down, legs down but not jacked up. drain hydraulics and remove pipe off pump. put wedges between axle and nose of machine to keep front riged.Remove bonnet and fuel tank, dissconnect battery ,remove starter, pack under gearbox area just to support it .put large trolley jack and pack under sump, jack side frame just a litle to support it remove frame bolts two each side, if these and the bolts and packing blocks are tight you may need to adjust jacks on sides slightly .drain off torque housing, remove bell housing bolts but make sure machine is level at ALL times.the front half of the machine should wheel forward but make sure that front wheels are kept straight at all times and that pipework and cables are not caught up,
The engine and front of machine should roll forward easy to expose torqoe convertor and flywheel area. Make sure that every thing is packed before working on convertor for removal.
It should take a morning to part the 550, but its best to do this job on level ground,concrete floor is best as its important to keep everything level.I used axle stands to support side frame one each side.Note when splitting bell housing the gap should be the same at all times during removal indicating everything is packed level.If you fail to do this it may cause damage to machine and yourself. Best to have a helper on this job for safety
Martyn

Hi Martyn,

Many thanks for great description!

If i would like to change all seals what are possible/ would be good to change since i have a machine apart, do you know what money are we talking? 300-500$ or over 1000$?

//Fredrik

Topic author
kafelsan

Post #6 by kafelsan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:54 pm

I have been offered a MF 50C from 1978 for approximately same price. The tractor has been stored in a barn for last 15years, backhoe outside, the ownes splited them becouse backhoe did't fint inside. I don't know what machine is better to buy?

Ford 550 have 4wd and joystics for backhoe, but doesnot work and requars "a couple" of hours work before it is running again. it should have around 8000-9000 hours running time on the machine.

MF 50C no 4wd ,no joystics for backhoe, but working. have run around 3000-4000hourse.

Is Ford a better backhoe with 4wd or am i imagine it becouse 4wd sounds better? I looked online and it looks like MF have more hp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
kafelsan

Post #7 by kafelsan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:55 pm

I have been offered a MF 50C from 1978 for approximately same price. The tractor has been stored in a barn for last 15years, backhoe outside, the ownes splited them becouse backhoe did't fint inside. I don't know what machine is better to buy?

Ford 550 have 4wd and joystics for backhoe, but doesnot work and requars "a couple" of hours work before it is running again. it should have around 8000-9000 hours running time on the machine.

MF 50C no 4wd ,no joystics for backhoe, but working. have run around 3000-4000hourse.

Is Ford a better backhoe with 4wd or am i imagine it becouse 4wd sounds better? I looked online and it looks like MF have more hp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

essexpete

Post #8 by essexpete » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:09 pm

What state is the MF b/hoe in if it has been lying out outside? Is the MF a manual or torque con? Is the Ford totally undriveable because if so you cannot really check out the rest of the transmission and brakes.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”