JCB 3c problems

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Johnno
Flag: Great Britain

Re: JCB 3c problems

Post #21 by Johnno » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:06 pm

I think I'd prefer the head gasket to the injector pump, if I had a choice! What do you think to the slightly oily coolant?

Johnno

Post #22 by Johnno » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:04 pm

'afternoon chaps, well, I had her running to dig a gatepost hole over the weekend, still got that low power and smokey running as soon as it gets warm, but keeps running and working if not under too much load. Misses more whn you try to increase the engine speed, or stops if you return it to tickover, but runs somewhere inbetween, allbeit smokily.

The more I look at the injector pump, it almost seems as if the main feed and the return are on the wrong way around on the connections to the pump. The pump is on the left of the 4/98 Leyland Engine (as viewed from the driving seat) the distributor part is on the rear (transmisssion end) of the engine. The inlet pipe is connected at the front if the pump, nearest the drive, fan etc, with the return on the rear nearest the distributor/ transmission end *is this the right way?* Would the engine even run if they were the wrong way around?

I guess it's an elimination game, to check head gasket, injectors, pump etc, anyone know a good mobile BMC / Lelyand 4/98 diesel mechanic in South Herefordshire?

Thanks in advance for you input lads,

Julian

Post #23 by Julian » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:36 pm

Johnno wrote:'afternoon chaps, well, I had her running to dig a gatepost hole over the weekend, still got that low power and smokey running as soon as it gets warm, but keeps running and working if not under too much load. Misses more whn you try to increase the engine speed, or stops if you return it to tickover, but runs somewhere inbetween, allbeit smokily.

The more I look at the injector pump, it almost seems as if the main feed and the return are on the wrong way around on the connections to the pump. The pump is on the left of the 4/98 Leyland Engine (as viewed from the driving seat) the distributor part is on the rear (transmisssion end) of the engine. The inlet pipe is connected at the front if the pump, nearest the drive, fan etc, with the return on the rear nearest the distributor/ transmission end *is this the right way?* Would the engine even run if they were the wrong way around?

I guess it's an elimination game, to check head gasket, injectors, pump etc, anyone know a good mobile BMC / Lelyand 4/98 diesel mechanic in South Herefordshire?

Thanks in advance for you input lads,

That's the wrong way, the feed is to the rear of the pump. (the distributor end)

It will run as these pumps will quite happily suck fuel - many car applications with the Lucas pump had no lift pump. Obviously it's sucking fuel from the return plumbing - on my Massey tractor this is via the inlet side of the fuel filters so there's plenty of fuel there. Of course you'll probably be running on unfiltered fuel which is why the pump inlet strainer probably clogs often, or if missing why the pump is probably worn out!

Julian.

agrimax

Post #24 by agrimax » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:50 pm

Yes those pipes are definitely the wrong way round,but the injector pump has got to be on the RHS of the engine surely?Lift pump on the left.
Also,can you get your hands on a cooling system pressure tester.Can help tell if the head gasket is blown.Sounds like it is to me as it's down on power,misfiring,smoky and has oil in the water.All symptoms.

Johnno

Post #25 by Johnno » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:09 pm

Thanks Chaps, you're right the inj pump is on the right as viewed from the cab, the lifter on the left. It's a CAV pump, I guess you can tell that as I mentioned that it is a ditributor type?

All good stuff, and valued input for getting it sorted out, I will keep persevering!!

The coolant is only very slightly oily natured, engine oil's ok, head gasket still a suspect?

Cheers,

Julian

Post #26 by Julian » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:19 pm

Johnno wrote: head gasket still a suspect?

Cheers,

Forget the bloomin head gasket until you've undone some previous muppet's handywork and got the pump plumbed in proper!

I seriously think that the pump will be somewhat damaged if its been sucking unfiltered fuel. You need to carefully trace the plumbing to see what's what. I just had a little look at my Massey 135 with Lucas pump and if the feeds and return got reversed then it would still run OK but get fuel from before the filters, ie unfiltered.

Julian.

TullyveeryClassicJCB

Post #27 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:55 pm

I had a digger that I bought in once and all it was missing was the O ring in the centre of the fuel flter top which meant that the injector pump which was also CAV was getting unfiltered fuel and it ran exactly the same as your digger. I think it was you that mentioned in a previous post that you didnt have the nylon filter inside your pump. Are you sure about that because they are very hard to see in the pump anyway and even harder to get out.
William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

Johnno

Post #28 by Johnno » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:47 pm

Afternoon chaps, thanks for your tips, the feed and return were definitely the wrong away around. I swapped them last night, and finally got the last chance filter out of the pump. It was covered in fine rubbish, hmmm hope the pumps ok, as it was on the wrong side, with the fuel going the wrong way. I snapped the fuel pipe getting it off, but shouldn't be a problem to get another from the plant hire / vintage enthusiast gent in the forest.

I hope it all comes good when I get the fuel system serviced and in the right order. Muppet is right, hope the daftie (not the gent in the forest) I got it from hasn't knackered the injector...

Any tips on getting another gauze/filter for the regulator valve/inlet, only seen one online, and it was £30.00!! Got to be a mistake!

Julian

Post #29 by Julian » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:37 pm

Johnno wrote:Any tips on getting another gauze/filter for the regulator valve/inlet, only seen one online, and it was £30.00!! Got to be a mistake!

This is where I tend to get my injector and pump stuff from:

http://www.nationwidediesel.co.uk/

In general they are helpful although If you sound like an amateur they may well baulk at selling you pump internal stuff as they are only trade suppliers. A little gauze mesh should be no problem.

Julian.

Johnno

Post #30 by Johnno » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:20 am

Hi Julian,

Thanks for the link, I'll look them up if I can't get another gauze from my friendly forest plant hire gent!

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”