operating techniques

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
joshpickering

operating techniques

Post #1 by joshpickering » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:41 pm

I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction... I've been looking on the internet for resources on techniques for operating a backhoe. I recently bought and am fixing up a JCB 2d and will be using the machine for leveling, removing stumps and general work on a small building site. I am slowly figuring out the backhoe etc. but would love to get advice on how to go about leveling a property with the machine and just general operating tips, do's and don'ts etc.
I'm pretty sure I can figure it out myself, but it will probably be quicker and safer if I can read up a bit first! I have found some info online, but if anyone can point me to a website or has a pdf that can help (perhaps something in the downloads section would be good...) it would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Josh

jcb4cx
Flag: Great Britain

Re: operating techniques

Post #2 by jcb4cx » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:39 pm

there is only one way to learn ,and that is by pulling the levers :thumbup:
every village has one , is yours missing you

Martyn Henley

Post #3 by Martyn Henley » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:44 pm

I agree with Graham, just pushing and pulling the levers and you will soon get the hang of :thumbup:

Neversweat

Post #4 by Neversweat » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:46 pm

Martyn Henley wrote:I agree with Graham, just pushing and pulling the levers and you will soon get the hang of :thumbup:

If you're close to a building or anything get someone to film you - Harry Hill pays £250.00 :thumbup:

Steve

mrruffle

Post #5 by mrruffle » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:41 pm

has it got a 4 in 1 bucket that's the tool for quick leveling? Really depending on what your leveling and whether your playing with nice soil or sand, or concrete lumps and hardcore.
My advice for what its worth is.
pulling backwards is most of the time easier for leveling that trying to bulldoze everything driving forwards, simply because your less likely to dig in, and you can see what your doing, but it all depends on what your doing really.
opening the 4 in 1 a little and dropping the bucket in to float and using the cutting blade on the bucket as a blade is handy, then use the empty and crown of the bucket to control leveling and digging.
Really practice and getting a feel for the machine for instance, you know your digging in by stress on the engine and revs dropping.
Have a look on youtube there'd be plenty of experts on there .

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #6 by FOWLER MAN » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:26 am

Hi,
It may not take long to learn to work the machine, but you will then need to learn how best to work the job.
That may take a bit longer.
I started in my teens and recently retired at 70, I learned something new every day.
Good luck.
Fred

Topic author
joshpickering

Post #7 by joshpickering » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:11 am

So yes, I do realise I can learn just by pulling levers... I got the machine running last week and in one short practice I managed to get the backhoe to kind of do what I expected!
But there are things that I wouldn't immediately realise if I hadn't read about it first, even something as simple as lifting the front wheels off the ground before using the backhoe, it makes sense, but it might have taken me a while to work it out (okay, so perhaps I might be a little slow!).
When it comes to leveling a building site, I must admit I don't really know where to start. Should I operate the backhoe sideways along the slope? (I know now that I shouldn't, after reading it online...) I just don't particularly want 6 tons of steel rolling over me!
Should I start at the higher side of the slope and work down, or start at the bottom? These are the things that I'm not so sure about, and while I'm certain I'll manage in the end, it would be great if I can learn from other peoples mistakes and experience rather than starting from scratch!
So again, if anyone has any resources that they can pass on it would be great! I saw an ebook on operating techniques for TLB's but don't want to fork out the cash they were asking for it!
Thanks
Josh

mrruffle

Post #8 by mrruffle » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:37 pm

opening the 4 in 1 bucket makes the machine more stable when lifting and slewing heavy loads with backactor

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”