Engine blowing oil out rocker cover

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
ruby

Engine blowing oil out rocker cover

Post #1 by ruby » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:32 am

i recently changed oil on my 50h and its blowing oil out from top cover through vent pipe[drop a sec] :arrrrgh: . yet it starts easily on frosty mornings :? .does does mean piston wear or what. any advice please

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Engine blowing oil out rocker cover

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:47 am

Hi Kevin, first check that you have the correct quantity of oil in the engine and this does not mean rely on what the dipstick says, if an engine should take for example 5 pints of oil then put that measured amount in then see what you have on the stick?

Make sure the vehicle is on level ground too before checking any dipstick reading, if the dipstick needs remarking then remark it at the correct level, ensure that you have run the engine first to make sure that the oil filter is full.

If you have done all of the above check that the crank case is freely ventilated, I once had a blocked breather tube on an old car of mine and it pressurized the crank case chucking oil out of the rocker cover, there was a gauze filter blocked with oily sludge that caused this problem.

Did your engine have excessive blow by before your oil change? If so perhaps you have piston and bore issues but I would check all of the above before considering any possible further work.
Hope this helps.

Jeremy

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”