JCB 3CX thermostart

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
jcb1968

JCB 3CX thermostart

Post #1 by jcb1968 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:15 am

Hi all,
How does the thermostart work on an old 3CX with a perkins diesel engine?
There seems to be a diesel fuel feed, which is leaking slightly, and an electrical connection.
This old machine has no trouble starting in the cold, but now that I have looked at it, I'm not sure if thers is a primer for the diesel feed as well as electrical pre-heating before starting
I put a spanner to all the connections, and they all needed a turn or more to tighten them up :shock:

Also after looking the various fuel lines, they all seem to have various rubber hoses between the lenghts of metal(copper?) every so often, is that normal, or is this a patch up job somewhere in the past?

The engine is running fine btw
1982 3CX4 sitemaster

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Re: JCB 3CX thermostart

Post #2 by agrimax » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:19 pm

Usually there is a low pressure diesel feed from the injector leak off pipes to the glow plug(no primer system required) and a wire to the key switch which is manually energised for 10-20 seconds when the key is turned to just before the start position.That is the way my 83 white cab 3cx is.IIRC,the diesel feed is now from the top of the filter housing but I think the leak off run back to there anyway. Can't remember off hand.The system probably was originally all piped with steel but perished parts have likely been replaced with rubber for convenience.If you can stop the leaks,don't be concerned.You must have a good tight engine if it doesn't need heat in the cold weather.I have found some of the older Perkins like warmed before they start.

wxmman

Post #3 by wxmman » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:59 pm

It's not the thermostat - i'ts the glow plug
Nothing runs like a Deere, - being chased by a big Cat..........

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by agrimax » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:40 pm

?? Er who mentioned thermostat?

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”