JCB 3 Purchase & Haulage

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
spud22

JCB 3 Purchase & Haulage

Post #1 by spud22 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:47 pm

Hi, may be in a position tp buy a 1979 JCB 3. It will be my first JCB. Been told its working and all good but can anyine give me a say, a 6 or 10 point idiots guide on what to look for on this model?

I intend to restore it and put it to light work around my small holding. Also, not sure where to post this on the site but need a to get it from Derby to just west of Hereford, about 120 mile one way. Any idea how much tis would cost?
Rgds
Spud

martyn williams

Re: JCB 3 Purchase & Haulage

Post #2 by martyn williams » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:57 pm

Hello there
Cost of transport will be £300 plus,take £1.50 per mile as average,fuel costs have pushed prices up,try to get a backload,this is cheaper.The JCB faults were brakes,hydraulic leaks,water in hydraulic oil,check you can get ALL gears as they tended to jump out of gear when worn.The cabs are prone to rust.Check the rams are not pitted,you can get new ram seals no problem.And electrics,poor earths or missing/damaged cables.I would give it a good twenty minute workout befor buying it.Hope this helps
Martyn

Topic author
spud22

Post #3 by spud22 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:16 pm

Hi Martyn, thanks for the tips will take them with me. Will try and source a backload I'm not in too much of a rush to get her back what with bad weather still about.

Also, whilst looking for an old JCB, I saw one poking out of a hedge row not to far from my place. I asked the farmer if it were for sale and he said probably in the New Year. Apparently she starts up but the cab was in a state and the backhoe has a lot of welding around the top. It had a pre 1965 reg which looked genuine. I didn't think they made them that early! Fairly sure it wasn't one of those early tractor models. Any ideas?

Spud

martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:59 pm

Be carefull what you get,a machine that is closer to you may not work out that economic.Old plant can burn a hole in your wallet :)
For example tyres for a JCB would soak up a few hundred pounds,king pin bushes,power steering pump and the many other things that can go wrong.The machine is just over 7 ton so use scrap value as your guide.You could spend a grand,no problem to get it into good running order.I pulled an old JCB out of a hedge a few years ago,it took ages to free the clutch cross shaft.Go for a runner with good tyres first.
Good luck,keep us posted
Martyn

sean

Post #5 by sean » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:53 pm

I echo Martins advice,i took on a jcb 814 not so long ago,after some line boaring,some hydraulic leaks fixed,a service and 2,000 qid later i was not so eger about the 814 :| jcb spares from a jcb dealer are astranomicaly priced,i left TC Harrison at sheffield in tears :( on more than one ocasion,at the moment i have a 1992 jcb 801.4 and had to leave TC Harrison empty handed because of cost :x if you have false teeth on a trip to a jcb dealer expect to spit them across the counter when they tell you how much. :wtf:
sean :doh:

essexpete

Post #6 by essexpete » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:48 am

Spud if it is not too rude a question, what is your budget?

Topic author
spud22

Post #7 by spud22 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:27 pm

HI, thanks for all the advice - it's most welcome. Will keep you up to date. Going to look at one tmrw weather permitting.

Essexpete, I've sent you a PM,

Spud

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”