JCB 3CX 1988 Stabiliser Jack Hydraulic Ram leaking

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Re: JCB 3CX 1988 Stabiliser Hydraulic Ram leaking

Post #11 by gecko.cx » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:03 am

Looking at your pics, does the bottom pin have a tapped thread for the bolt?
If so, that was changed/improved on later models where the hole is plain and passes through the pin (and cylinder eye).
The bolt passes right through with a nut on the far side.
This has the distinct advantage of not seizing in the pin. Worst case, you can blow the head off with an oxy and drive the bolt through with a punch.

Topic author
Soulman
Flag: Ireland

Post #12 by Soulman » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:39 pm

the pin is not tapped but the Eye of the ram end is threaded. so the Bold threads in through the eye of the ram and into the retaining pin to prevent the pin slipping out of place.

Topic author
Soulman

Post #13 by Soulman » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:43 pm

Here are some picts of how i removed the ram end cap. I mounted the cylinder onto the machine frame using the top pin and then using a Large stencil plus a pipe, i was able to crank open the end cap. i used a ladder to support the cylinder in a horizontal position :) once i got a turn on the end cap, i connected the hydraulic pipes and i then extended out the ram. Then continued to removed the end cap. Have a drum and funnel ready to collect the Hydraulic oil and slowly I pulled out the piston rod. A lot of Hydraulic oil comes from the cylinder, so be ready!! Note on mine, there was no grub pin in the piston end, i removed the old seals to check for this and then i removed the piston bolt to remove the piston end.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: JCB 3CX 1988 Stabiliser Jack Hydraulic Ram leaking

Post #14 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:05 pm

Nice one :thumbup: always good when the job goes well.

Jeremy

Topic author
Soulman

Re: JCB 3CX 1988 Stabiliser Jack Hydraulic Ram leaking

Post #15 by Soulman » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:29 am

So I received the seal kit yesterday. The kit i ordered was - https://www.kellymachinespares.ie/produ ... 991-00015/. All the seals in the kit were correct except for the 0 ring that is inside the piston bolt. The 0 ring seal in the kit was much thinner and smaller than mine. I got a suitable 0 ring from my 0 ring kit box and fitted it and it worked fine. With all new seals fitted, I hooked up the hydraulic pipes to give the ram a good test a few times before putting the cylinder back onto the machine. No sign of any leaks so i went ahead and refitted the stabiliser ram to the machine. It all went really well.

These are old seals apart from the 0 ring that fits inside the piston bolt.

Seal Kit No. 991-00015. These are new seals (the small 0 ring in this kit was incorrect size for my Ram)

All back together again.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”