JCB 3CX identification

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Pieterjan
Flag: Belgium

JCB 3CX identification

Post #1 by Pieterjan » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:36 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post here, I hope you can help me.
I recently inhereted a JCB 3CX when my mother-in-law passed away. It was sitting in her garden for some years, so it needs some love.

I am not new to old rusty machines, as I have some oldtimer cars and motorbikes, but something of this size is new to me!
After getting it home, the first hurdle to take is the identification. By the stickers on the machine, I can see it is a JCB 3CX... This is as far as I got. From browsing this forum, I advanced to a black cab, as mine has a black cab with a white top (at least it used to be white...).

I found an identification plate behind the front right wheel. This says it is a JCB 3CXR/4/324522. What does this mean? Can someone tell me the year it was built?

Is there a workshop/owners manual available for this version? I looked in the download section and it seems the JCB 214 3CX 1400B workshop manual matches my version. Any luck on an owners manual that explains the different controls and levers around the steering wheel?

It has an intermittent problem where it does not want to move, sometimes it drives normally, whereas other times I put it in forward or reverse and the engine just revs but it does not advance.

Thank you in advance!
PJ

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Re: JCB 3CX identification

Post #2 by gecko.cx » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:39 pm

It's older than my experience relates to, so don't take my suggestions as gospel.

Based on later models, 324522 is the machine serial. If that's correct, this manual might be a better fit:

JCB 3CX/4CX Backhoe Loader workshop manual

The engine should be a Layland 4/98 ?

Welcome to the forum too!

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:43 pm

Hi Pieterjan welcome to the forum :wave: there should be plenty of people on here who can offer you some good advice.

Jeremy

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by agrimax » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:28 pm

The engine will be a Perkins 4.236. Leyland engines were only used until 1981. This machine is from 1987/88 and has a 3D serial number,even though it's badged and plated as a 3CX. Have seen that before with foreign built/supplied machines but don't know why....
It should have Synchroshuttle transmission and thus the electric shuttle stalk on the left side of the steering column for f/r?
It would be a good idea to change the transmission oil and filter(ATF will be fine to use in it) after it having been sitting for some time.Maybe just low on oil giving the intermittant drive issue,but the solenoids on top of the transm' could be sticking causing it too.

gecko.cx

Post #5 by gecko.cx » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:53 am

It's younger than I realised.
How do these serials work? (they always seem cryptic)

diggerjones

Post #6 by diggerjones » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:49 pm

Would it be a hammer master. Strange its got standard front bucket and no extending dipper

essexpete

Post #7 by essexpete » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:44 am

Looks like it may have a side window fitted where the glass door would have been. Does seem quite a low spec machine which might tie in with the above comments, that is was destined originally for overseas.

Slooby

Post #8 by Slooby » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:12 am

Welcome to the world of working on heavy stuff PJ, and a really useful forum too!

If you take a look at some of my posts you'll see that I have a similar machine, all be it 2wd and a Sitemaster, but the controls are broadly the same, and I did my best to detail which fluids can be used instead of the JCB branded.

I don't think anyone has found an online copy of the operators manual for one yet! Ian (gecko.cx) has pointed you at the correct workshop manual though
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

supermondo

Post #9 by supermondo » Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:14 am

Hello all, another newbie to the forum. :wave: I have recently purchased a 3CX and need the correct manuals if anyone can please help? I have the slew pots to reseal and one of the jack legs also. Also am I correct in thinking that the drive system is separate to the backhoe hydraulics? Pic attached of name attached.

Thank you in advance Jeremy.

gecko.cx

Post #10 by gecko.cx » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:39 am

Welcome Jeremy.
The serial suggests its the last of the Project 7's and the manual above should be correct.

If you've never rebuilt a cylinder, the jack leg is a good one to build your skills. It's a manageable size and the cheapest seal kits if anything goes wrong!!

You are correct that the drive and hydraulics are separate.
The drive is off the back of the engine in the conventional location.
The hydraulics are driven from a pump mounted to the front of the engine.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”