Jcb 3cx grey cab front loader lift capacity

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
kj1123
Flag: Ireland

Jcb 3cx grey cab front loader lift capacity

Post #1 by kj1123 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:38 am

Hi all as above I am curious to know what the lift capacity of my front loader is? I believe it says it has a swl of 1000kg but I know it can manage more than this haven't had anything it won't lift yet. Reason for asking is I have a small business from home and will be buying in pressure treated timber by the bale and wanted to know if my 3cx would handle unloading these if I make up a set of independent pallet forks for her. I estimate the bales would weigh between 1.6 / 2 tons depending on how wet they are, my local hardware store lifts these with a 2.5 ton fork lift no problem would my jcb be up to the job or should I be looking at a forklift would rather just one machine. Thanks

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Jcb 3cx grey cab front loader lift capacity

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:29 pm

Karl, overloading a machine is never a good idea, plus your JCB will bounce on its rubber tyres more than a forklift truck with solid tyres, check what the SWL for the JCB should be, I have no idea of that.

Jeremy

dixie-normous
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by dixie-normous » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:50 pm

I agree with Jeremy, having used a JCB and a forklift for loading there is no comparison. If you have a good flat yard you will use the forklift for all sorts, and a forklit is an awful lot easier and safer loading/unloading than a JCB. If you have too much weight on the front of a JCB and the back actor isn't central and pointing backwards they have a tendency to tip with the rear wheel on the lighter side lifting. Saw a chap nearly tip a 3CX unloading a pack of fencing, he managed to drop the front and save it but his arse chewed the buttons off the seat!
John
Black smoke don't mean it's broke, keep it flat out like a badger on a bypass

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:57 am

I think there could be insurance issues if the SWL is exceeded. The machine will pick up more, I used a long arm 3C111 years ago to move bricks. It was not very handy with probably 1.5 ton on forks. Don't forget you still have the bucket weight and the load centre is massively moved forward with the tines.
For regular use, even at 1ton, the set up would be a PITA.

Topic author
kj1123

Post #5 by kj1123 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:35 am

Thanks for the responses guy I think I'll have to re think my situation was hoping it might do my job. I don't have a concrete yard so I'd need an all terrain forklift to not ruin the tyres. I will only be getting a delivery 2/3 times per year as I'm only a small business. Perhaps I could ask my neighbour down the road with his telehandler to come up might be the best solution. Thanks again guys

mechman

Post #6 by mechman » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:27 am

Hi all.
Got our 3cx delivered today sadly no pics as it fell off one of the trucks ramps whilst unloading it with me in it ( very interesting episode) so had more things on my mind. will take some pics next week, everything and all ok. Doesn't half give one a thirst though. :thumbup: :D
Norm.

Topic author
kj1123

Post #7 by kj1123 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:24 am

Welcome to the vintage 3cx club norm. What year or model is your jcb , they really are great machines and if your anything like me u will soon catch the bug and enjoy refurbished and operation a classic machines but great machines in my opinion

mechman

Post #8 by mechman » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:51 am

Kj 1123.
It's a white cab (was white) 2wd. Perkins 4.236. Not sure what type the drive is. forward and reverse on left side of column, gear shift on floor on right side of column. first reg in 84 and sorned last Oct. bottom or doors shot ( easy fix hopefully) the only electrics that work are the brake lights and the key start. there weren't any fuses in the box, replaced all 8 and this it how it stands at the moment. Next step, remove dash and try to sort instruments
dash lighting etc. Looking for a manual for it as I can't seem to match it with downloads.
Norm.

MrF
Flag: France

Post #9 by MrF » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:20 pm

I have a 3.5t hyster forklift, with solid tyres and not all terrain. And my yard is stone.
Yes there's a couple of places on the edges I dont venture because the stone is too deep and loose and soft underneath and I learnt quickly how easy it is to get a foklift stuck in these bits (but I have a jcb to rescue it), but I have no problems with the rest of it.
I've had well over 1000kg in the front bucket of my jcb on the fork tines and I agree with every other commentator recommending you get a forklift...

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”