JCB 3CII Removable Excavator Details

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Baste
Flag: Australia

Re: JCB 3CII Removable Excavator Details

Post #11 by Baste » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:54 am

Thanks Phil. I have temporarily renewed the welds that cracked so that I can move the machine and slide the kingpost to the centre. The bottom pivots should hold it in place and I will get a welder friend to look at it after new year to see if he can come up with a way to permanently attach it at the top of the frame, as I cannot see any reason why I would want to ever detach it. I decided to look at the brakes at the same time as they have been barely working since I bought it a couple of years ago. Found the left side full of oil and discs worn down to almost nothing and the right side had the friction material broken up and detached from the hub plates, so that has become the current holiday project.... :arrrrgh: ;)
Regards, Ted

Topic author
Baste

Post #12 by Baste » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:05 am

essexpete wrote:I think, but I am not sure, that this machine is unusual. The removable back actor/hoe was usually found on the 2B or possibly 2D models.
The 384 part probably refers to the Leyland 384 tractor skid. They were built between 1969 and 1972.

There is a little here and perhaps someone can be contacted for some help/info?

Anyone got a JCB 2BII?

Thanks essexpete. The photos from the thread look very similar to my setup. Looks like there was a lot of "mix and match" between machines in this period. I think I have decided to try to permanently attach mine as I have no need to have it detachable, but if I do find out how to repair it before I do that, I will have a go. I have the brakes apart at the moment, but when I have fixed them I will try to centre the kingpost and detach the back actor for a better look. :)
Best regards and happy new year, Ted

Topic author
Baste

Post #13 by Baste » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:51 am

Hi Phil. In your previous reply, you mentioned that your damaged frame was leaking oil through the cracks. Can you tell me which part of the frame incorporates the oil storage? Is it only around the front right section where the hydraulic oil tank is located, or does it extend to the rear frame sections. We are looking at welding the H frame to the rear of the skid, but will need to rethink that if the rear skid frame rails are filled with oil. :think: :insomnia:

essexpete

Post #14 by essexpete » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:04 am

Should only be the tanks and forward that carry oil.

Topic author
Baste

Post #15 by Baste » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:35 pm

Thanks, that's what I was hoping for.

MrF
Flag: France

Post #16 by MrF » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:08 pm

Thats not right, hopefully you haven't started welding yet but the lower frame rail on one side is used for oil return from the backhoe controls.
Here's the other side of that stiffener plate as its welded to the rear H frame, note the hose stub going into it.
Sorry for the delay, I had a uneasy feeling it was this way but wanted to verify 100% first before speaking out as Ive seen it stated a few times over the years by different people that rear of the tanks the frame is dry, and its only today I could get out to verify. I *think* its just that lower rail though, not the whole rear of the machine skid (which it coudln't be anyway since yours detaches)
fluid_frame_jcb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Baste

Post #17 by Baste » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:20 am

Thanks Phil. No, haven't started welding anything yet. Christmas and wet weather got in the way :D . I have tack welded the frame back the way it was and am waiting for brake parts. Once I have those, I will move the machine to somewhere safe to centre the kingpost. I have previously moved the kingpost from side to side, so know that it works - just need the space to manipulate it. Once that is done, I will grind off the temporary welds and detach the rear H frame/ back actor assembly so I can get a better look at how it all works. Then I can work out whether to try to fix the detaching mechanism or to weld it back permanently. I will be able to check where the oil storage is located once it is apart. I will let you know when I have sorted it out.
Thanks for your assistance - greatly appreciated, Ted

essexpete

Post #18 by essexpete » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:41 am

MrF

Post #19 by MrF » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:40 am

Thanks Pete, I'll take a peek at my 3c3 next time in the cab, but I think I remember from working on it that both thick service hoses run inside the mudguard area from the front up towards the loader controls/hydrachassis area on that.
It could be one of the improvements going from 3c2 with leyland 384 skid -> 3c3 as that hose barb pictured is welded into part that's colour yellow on your diagram for sure (inside on the fore aft lower rail, near where it joins the H).
It also potentially explains why it was leaking after it had gone for a lie down on its roof in the lake if it was a area JCB thought needed improvement after feedback from the field.
So if you have a mk2, its best to avoid rolling it over upside-down into a hole :)

MrF

Post #20 by MrF » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:44 am

Baste wrote:Thanks Phil. No, haven't started welding anything yet. Christmas and wet weather got in the way :D . I have tack welded the frame back the way it was and am waiting for brake parts. Once I have those, I will move the machine to somewhere safe to centre the kingpost. I have previously moved the kingpost from side to side, so know that it works - just need the space to manipulate it. Once that is done, I will grind off the temporary welds and detach the rear H frame/ back actor assembly so I can get a better look at how it all works. Then I can work out whether to try to fix the detaching mechanism or to weld it back permanently. I will be able to check where the oil storage is located once it is apart. I will let you know when I have sorted it out.
Thanks for your assistance - greatly appreciated, Ted

I hear you on weather, its -3c here today and my 3c3 is parked in the yard with no coolant in it for this reason.
It will be interesting to see if your machine has the return as part of the chassis, or if they ran the hoses all the way to the front section because the rear detaches and there's a lot going on in that area, then thought "you know, that's a really good idea" and incorporated it into the mk3.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”