New to backhoe 1989 version

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Slooby
Flag: Great Britain

Re: New to backhoe 1989 version

Post #11 by Slooby » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:25 am

Ok, so:

Hand brake; my lever had seized in the bracket attached to the floor so I took it apart and gave it a good clean, derust, lube and then reassembled it. Replacement cables are available and Vicary Plant are THE people to got to for parts, new, refurbished and used. César recently had issues with his similar spec machine to yours and I took some pics of the cable routing loading them to his thread here: JCB 3CX 4x4 sitemaster 1988 Parking Brake & RELAY

I think you may have found your lighting issue, sounds like it's possible that earthing problems were blowing fuses so you are going to need to have a good look at the state of the wiring.

The molten wiring for the rear wiper is a little worrying, again probably shorts and bad earths, my wiper motor doesn't work so I need to strip it down for a look-see. The standard cable is a curly type, there are pics in my project thread.

Try some wd40 on the rollers to see if you can free them off then lube the runners with grease and the rollers with spray grease

Replacement knobs exist (Ebay or Vicary), gaiters though are really expensive.

The lever in your first pic is most likely the Hydra-clamp lock, you have to rotate it and hold it in the unlock position to release the 4 hydra-clamps on the back actor that when released allow you to use the excavator arm to move the kingpost along the rear of the digger so you can change the position for digging offset or about the centre line of the cab as it were. Letting go of the lever should return it and the clamps to locked.

The lever to the left of your steering column is the one I marked as 8, the 2wd/4wd selector.

The T handle is your left side bonnet release cable giving you access to the engine fluid level checks and battery.

The bottle below it is the screen washer fluid reservoir

The black button on the left of the steering column is the warning light test button, press it with the ignition on and all the dash warning lights should illuminate

The black stalk to the right of the steering column is indicators, wipers (twist), main beam and flash
Last edited by Slooby on Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

gecko.cx
Flag: Australia

Post #12 by gecko.cx » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:14 am

Afterburner wrote:Checked the fluid levels in pots at front of dash for rear brakes, left pot level is below the min. Hope there isn't a major leak.

Just checking - you know not to use brake fluid, right?

Topic author
Afterburner

Post #13 by Afterburner » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:07 am

@ Ian - Yes light hydraulic fluid, got that from Tim's project post cheers

Topic author
Afterburner

Post #14 by Afterburner » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:12 pm

@ Tim,
Freed off handbrake, seen your pics on other post. Checked underneath and low and behold no assembly! Vicary think they have one, with cable and pads.

Rear wiper motor - Yes strange its all melted, no wiper arm either outside. Will need to strip it like you and see if it works. Seen your pic of inside & curly wire, was a bit dark but was looking on my phone.

Rear window rollers, managed to free off the window and move it up above with some grease on runners and around linkages. Guy who had it last has coated everything in grey paint.. The rollers are solid, assume you just remove the holding pin and pull the bar to get rollers off?

Replacement knobs, can only find rear throttle & stabiliser ram caps online. Noticed your loader handle is rectangular shaped with dump button but can only see round black versions on fleebay? Mine is covered in black tape so assume it's worn on post threads.

Hydra clamp - Read about this last night. From your description is it spring loaded as I tried to move it from unlock position but was quite stiff, engine was off though, need hydraulics I assume but fuel gauge said empty so didn't want to start it again until it gets some fuel in the tank (Assuming bloody gauge works)

Don't happen to know which position 2/4wd selector should be for selecting 2w & 4w?
Light button seems to work, 4 warning lights on left came on.
Hose is missing from water bottle. Will check if wipers work later, but black stalk didn't twist...
Stalk seems to move fwd, bck, up & down.

Cheers for help & feedback again, much appreciated. I'm not the best with engines/mechanical etc but can fix most things and not bad with electrics. I have a guy coming round next week to give it the once over and quote for a service and anything else that needs done.
Last edited by Afterburner on Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slooby

Post #15 by Slooby » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:01 pm

Afterburner wrote:The rollers are solid, assume you just remove the holding pin and pull the bar to get rollers off?

Looking at mine I don't think it's that simple unfortunately, I can't tell for sure looking at the parts book drawing it might be as simple as an axle shaft secured by a cotter or split pin into the frame poked into a hard nylon roller, but I thought when I was cleaning out my runners I could feel something on the outside of the shaft like a circlip. I guess give it a try on one of them.

Afterburner wrote:Replacement knobs, can only find rear throttle & stabiliser ram caps online. Noticed your loader handle is rectangular shaped with dump button but can only see round black versions on fleebay? Mine is covered in black tape so assume it's worn on post threads.

So the two missing lever knobs for your rear stabilizer legs are these: https://vicaryplant.co.uk/products/knob ... 0881&_ss=r

Are you missing the knob I labelled as '6' in my photo of the controls? If so that could be a bit of a pain as the cable for the transmission dump button runs down through it. If you are, give Vicary a call they should be able to tell you if they are available or might even have a good used one.

Afterburner wrote:(Assuming bloody gauge works)

Mine doesn't; I'm currently contemplating making a sight tube up rather than bothering to fork our on a replacement sender only to find that's no the problem!

Afterburner wrote:Don't happen to know which position 2/4wd selector should be for selecting 2w & 4w?

Not a clue I'm afraid, sorry

Afterburner wrote:Will check if wipers work later, but black stalk didn't twist...

Strange, maybe you have a wiper switch on the control console then?

Afterburner wrote:I have a guy coming round next week to give it the once over and quote for a service and anything else that needs done.

The complete filter kit of engine oil filter, transmission oil filter, air filter, hydraulic filter and fuel filter is about £55 for decent quality pattern parts, all the fluids gets expensive if you have to replace everything especially all the hydraulic fluid! I think I spent the best part of £150 on fluids and I only bought 5 litres of transmission fluid to top up, and 25 of hydraulic.

Topic author
Afterburner

Post #16 by Afterburner » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:09 pm

Hi Tim,
I just updated my post at same time as you replied.

Topic author
Afterburner

Post #17 by Afterburner » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:21 pm

Item 6 on your pic, peeled back tape & theres a yellow round knob underneath with dump button. They must’ve changed design. Will see if i can glue it back on.

Wiper- theres a wiper button up on right hand side at head height but think thats for rear wiper?

For the fuel gauge, i read on another forum you can get at it via left hand heater vent. Move vent pipe to the side the you get access to sender. Test wire & gauge by grounding wire & gauge should show full. If it shows full then likely sender is knackered.

Slooby

Post #18 by Slooby » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:53 pm

Afterburner wrote:Item 6 on your pic, peeled back tape & theres a yellow round knob underneath with dump button. They must’ve changed design. Will see if i can glue it back on.

Entirely likely, the round ones certainly seem to available, even as just the plastics.

Afterburner wrote:Wiper- theres a wiper button up on right hand side at head height but think thats for rear wiper?

Yeah, there's a control housing on the right-hand door hinge pillar for the rear wiper and orange beacon if you have one fitted

Afterburner wrote:For the fuel gauge, i read on another forum you can get at it via left hand heater vent. Move vent pipe to the side the you get access to sender. Test wire & gauge by grounding wire & gauge should show full. If it shows full then likely sender is knackered.

[/quote]

Yup, the sender is indeed just there, I'll have to try the gauge test, top tip!

diggerjones

Post #19 by diggerjones » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:18 pm

The 4x4 lever. You pull it towards yourself to engage 4x4

Topic author
Afterburner

Post #20 by Afterburner » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:49 pm

@ diggerjones, cheers.

@ Tim,
Test worked on fuel gauge, so looks like sender is knackered. Will order a new one.

Anyone have any info on how to remove console to get at gauge?

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”