new guy question jcb 214 s3

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
dirtbill
Flag: Canada

new guy question jcb 214 s3

Post #1 by dirtbill » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:00 am

Wow glad I found this site, wish I had a while ago, would have saved much trial and error.

I have a 214 series 3 about a 1997, 6000 or so hours, owned it for about 9 years used for personal construction projects and around my farm. I have to admit I have not been great in the maintenance department but I have done the minimum mostly and the machine has treated me pretty well, needing only minor repairs mostly in the hydraulic dept.

I had a no start issue recently after replacing the fuel shut off solenoid (which the jcb dealer could not supply) during the process of trying to bleed the fuel system it seems a relay gave in. Not having a proper service manual (until finding this site) as you can imagine the trial and error process lead to a solution however my own carelessness leaves me with no movement in either direction which I am sure is the result of my shifting of relays.

Now I have a problem since in my carelessness I have confused blue and green relays which I understand in retrospect are 4 and 5 pin relays and now I am not sure what uses a five pin and what requires a four pin? the fuse panel sketch is not helpful in this regard. Can anyone offer advice on this, I know in many cases a five pin will usually work fine in place of a four pin but in this circumstance I am unsure.

Further which relay do you expect would cause the forward and reverse functions to cease, would it be the transmission dump or the drive relay? I should note the machine starts fine and when I engage the shuttle forward and rear I can feel and hear the relays click, which I presume means 1) the shifter is working, 2) the fuse linked to the shuttle is probably OK or am I off base?

Thanks in advance, I am so glad I found this site and have spent a few hours over the last couple days reading lots of great information.
Last edited by dirtbill on Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: new guy question jcb 214 s3

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:42 am

Hi and welcome :wave: I am sure somebody on here can point you in the right direction, as for me I'm hopeless at electrics.

Jeremy

Slooby
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by Slooby » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:09 pm

Welcome aboard!

A lot newer than my machine, but sounds like it could be very similar to GeckoCX's so he might be able to help

However now you've found the downloads section in here and hopefully a copy of the manual for your machine have you been able to trace through the wiring diagram that it contains?

Certainly in the one for mine the relays are all numbered on the diagram, and described, along with the wires that connect to them so you 'should' be able to work out which Relay is a 5 pin or a 4 pin from that and relate it to the Relay box where your much newer machine would I hope have clustered them all together rather than arbiterilly scattered them about the cab like they have on mine :/
CMN Stuff: MF65, Thwaites Nimline, JCB 3CX
Projects: S11a 88" V8 Hybrid, 2 x S111 109"s, Mk11 Mini, Harrison L5A :doh:
Ish projects: T25 Camper, ST675R
Just added: Alpine S5 & Bridgeport Mk2 :wtf:
Sorely Missed: Impreza, E39 M5

Topic author
dirtbill
Flag: Canada

Post #4 by dirtbill » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:09 pm

Update:

got her working this morning, it was just a relay as expected and with the manual I didn't have to resort to trial and error as in the past.

JCB is a little shy about sharing information publicly so your resource is excellent, thanks again.

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:45 am

Good to hear.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”