Post #11 by rogern » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:12 pm

Thats what we thought, just wondered if we were missing something
Cheers

Topic author
rogern
Flag: Great Britain

Re: MF 220 backhoe/back actor

Post #12 by rogern » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:02 pm

Hi essexpete, can you explain a bit more about the bolts and how you got them out, we have tried a slide hammer but had no success
Regards

Topic author
rogern

Post #13 by rogern » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:06 pm

essexpete wrote:I seem to remember struggling with those. I also seem to rember damaging a paddle slightly but fortunately in a way not to affect the sealing /operation. I remember the seals seemed expensive at the time.
With regard to studs I think I locked two suitable nuts on them and wound them out. (iirr!)

Hi Pete
Can you explain how you used nuts to get them out, we have even tried a slide hammer but cant move them

essexpete

Post #14 by essexpete » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:53 pm

rogern wrote:
essexpete wrote:I seem to remember struggling with those. I also seem to rember damaging a paddle slightly but fortunately in a way not to affect the sealing /operation. I remember the seals seemed expensive at the time.
With regard to studs I think I locked two suitable nuts on them and wound them out. (iirr!)

Hi Pete
Can you explain how you used nuts to get them out, we have even tried a slide hammer but cant move them

TBH It must be 40 odd years ago. I took the rotary unit apart because when Dad was using it he had not noticed the studs that secure the unit to post had either sheared or dropped out. I got a complete seal kit so thought I would change every thing. I seem to remember taking out studs on the paddles thinking the paddles would drop off but they were tight. Tried drifting and chipped something (possibly the paddle). I then realised you had wind the paddles off because, IIRR, they are mounted with substantial dowels as well. I am struggling to rember. Are the paddle held with Allen type screws? Possibly I actually used the mounting screws to wind the paddle off the dowels. Without it in front of me I am struggling to rember.
Have you looked on line? I think they were Dowty rotary actuators (or similar).

essexpete

Post #15 by essexpete » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:57 pm

Another thought, do you actully need to remove the paddle /vanes from the fixing to change the working seals? Perhaps you do?

Topic author
rogern

Post #16 by rogern » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:30 am

essexpete wrote:
rogern wrote:

Hi Pete

TBH It must be 40 odd years ago. I took the rotary unit apart because when Dad was using it he had not noticed the studs that secure the unit to post had either sheared or dropped out. I got a complete seal kit so thought I would change every thing. I seem to remember taking out studs on the paddles thinking the paddles would drop off but they were tight. Tried drifting and chipped something (possibly the paddle). I then realised you had wind the paddles off because, IIRR, they are mounted with substantial dowels as well. I am struggling to rember. Are the paddle held with Allen type screws? Possibly I actually used the mounting screws to wind the paddle off the dowels. Without it in front of me I am struggling to rember.
Have you looked on line? I think they were Dowty rotary actuators (or similar).

Hi Pete,thanks for coming back.
The paddle on the actual drum came of easily, its the paddle on the main shaft we are struggling with, picture below shows the paddle fixed to the main shaft, its that we need to remove to fit a new seal,

essexpete

Post #17 by essexpete » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:09 am

So did the paddle that came off have dowels?

Topic author
rogern

Post #18 by rogern » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:21 am

essexpete wrote:So did the paddle that came off have dowels?

There were bolts on the outside of the drum, undid them and it came off, its the paddle that is fixed to the shaft we are struggling with

essexpete

Post #19 by essexpete » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:05 pm

Well I think that might be the one I damaged slightly. Fortunately did not damage function.
I must have wound the paddle off some how. Try locking two nut together on the studs and wind one out. Not sure now if the studs are a dowl on the other end or if I wound in the studs which then pushed the paddle off the post dowls. Sorry it is a long time ago.

Topic author
rogern

Post #20 by rogern » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:19 pm

Ok thanks, will try it and let you know

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”