driving scrapers on road

Discuss scrapers here

essexpete

Re: driving scrapers on road

Post #11 by essexpete » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:08 pm

Love the picture with the Mog Oxford. To a someone like me knowing nowt about scrapers, at a quick glance it looks like it has come round the corner on the wrong side :lol:

nick lamb

Post #12 by nick lamb » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:08 pm

It's hard to imagine meeting a 657 on the road these days.You could vent alot of road rage if you wanted to :lol:

RichardJW~

Post #13 by RichardJW~ » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:25 pm

its bad enough shifting a combine a couple of miles down the road in the holiday season - you can have lights, beacons etc. etc. and still the clowns drive at you like you weren't even there

rogerjones

Post #14 by rogerjones » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:01 pm

roger jones i was the forman at lee moor.i was on the second 657 to cross
forth road bridge in 1968 on way to westfeild open cast site when contract finished tramped to armadale costains open cast finished there then tramped to castle donnington air field. allso from snetterton to m90 in 1971.me and dave lose tramp two ts24s from snetterton to leith in scotland in 12 houres useing both engines ben thought we had pulled rear halfshafts hadent we ran full chat doth engines .allso traveled galasheilds to leigh moor.daisey harrington mad a pig of him self in chines at stop over in birmingham.i could tell some stories about tramping on road bob what is your second name i should know you.i worked for ben 30years in total had break in middle ben got me to come back.finished up when phelan bought out wyatts i was the first person to know ben came up to me see the day before and told me he was selling out he gave mean envelope and said dont look till he had gone it had 5grand in it with a note thanks roger.for your service.even bruce bailey didnt know.as he thought he was going to take over.phelans had no idear about muckshifting got out i could see what would happen to them and started for f l gamble the phelan brothers tried to get me to come back met them on a saturday offered more money new 4x4 said no my traveling days are over i have been at home every night fer six months.with gambles no nead to stop away .with gambles new 4x4 every 3 years peter gamble was allright to work for left you to it.a bit like ben the old school like to hear from you reguards crazey horse

rogerjones

Post #15 by rogerjones » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:32 pm

crazey horse again me and my brother in law john peacock tramped merrimans 657 from merrimans yard to stokenchurch one of merrimans drivers on first 657 draft arm caught side of paper carring wagon ripped out side paper every when when police came the driver never had licence.it was the last time merrimans tramped on road.i could tell some stories about break downs when wardey had steering pipe burst on ts24 on a74.engine on ts24 bd on way to leigh moor. 5 days on road .do you remember peter wolsley.and peter dune .arther charlton dave loose joe kukwicki eric day bob page harry hopwood dick pleasents keith ward george pearson malcombe fagan they where old school. a am now 68 and still active,alot i have mentiond are no longer with us sadley missed.great guys to work with.sign off crazey horse

Topic author
bob
Flag: Great Britain

Post #16 by bob » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:05 pm

the only names I dont remember is Bob Page ,harry Hopood,and geoge Pearson
Dave and me drove 2 657s to chesterfield Kieth Ward managed to loose sight of the rest of us near the yard on a 631 and took a short cut over a very narrow railway bridge with a 7ton wt limet he only had about 2" spare I also worked with Peter Wosley at may Gurney Dick could get up a batter as quick as me even with his leg. Peter Dune was a good fitter

GIZZY

Post #17 by GIZZY » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:24 am

I remember these at LeeMoor :)

martyn williams

Post #18 by martyn williams » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:18 pm

Karl Boston's (Sprocket on CMN ) 631 being roaded after it took part in our 2003 vintage rally at Pencoed. About a 16 mile round trip.
It turned a few heads I can tell you :lol: We had the police up front and me at the rear.
Martyn
click on photo to enlarge image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RichardJW~

Post #19 by RichardJW~ » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:36 am

GIZZY wrote:I remember these at LeeMoor :)

my uncle worked on Lee Moor back in the '60s driving 621s for Tom Welch (Walsh)

bigkit

Post #20 by bigkit » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:00 pm

Whats the record for the number of cats eyes in the bowl then? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Scrapers”