Good ole days

Discuss scrapers here

John penfold

Re: Good ole days

Post #41 by John penfold » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:54 pm

They truly were the good old days, jobs like seaforth docks , pemmbroke power station,the M5, Great contracts with good drivers, I redmember well the duffy brothers good D8 drivers, if you could put up with their off duty capers, Toby Monroe, and many other slashers, and good plant guys like Phil Walton, Arther Toon , The Skepper lads, where would you find there likes today?

John penfold

Post #42 by John penfold » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:02 am

Martin,
thank you so much for your assistance, some of the photos have already been scaned so following your instructions I should be able to post them, many more photos have yet to be scaned, so I shall commence to do so. Providing I can overcome my age idiocy. you will soon be able to see some, If not, I shall get one of my grandchildren to do this for me

tctractors
Flag: Great Britain

Post #43 by tctractors » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:46 pm

John, you are not alone on the picture posting thing, my son does this for me in a few moments when he manages to pop home to visit, this month there is a bit of an artical about me in the Classic Plant and Machinery Mag, that might please you, I am on the front cover sat on a CAT shovel that I own and making fit for a shift, the 1st page in is a large pic of a D8 and Box that I fettle, then on page 12 is some more pics of D8H's that can get a visit from my spanners, then there is the script and pic's with a little about my antics penciled up by Jeremy Roland who just loves machinery.

Forster
Flag: Mauritius

Post #44 by Forster » Wed May 15, 2013 11:37 am

One of the big muck shifters in the 60s was Shellabear Price. I have yet to see any comment whatsoever on this company or, indeed, from anyone who worked for them.
They ran a substantial fleet of TS24s and CAT dozers. They did a lot of power station work and, of course the usual motorway work in that period.
They did a big job in Belgium near Verviers on the E25 in 1964. Blackwood Hodge had a numbers of 24s on hire to SP on that site.
I will be interested to see any response to this post.

DAJOCAT
Flag: Netherlands

Post #45 by DAJOCAT » Thu May 16, 2013 1:09 pm

Hello , I made these pics of the TS 24 in 1964 in the area you mentioned . There were no other TS24 so I think these were of SP .
I "met"a Euclid C-6 in 1961 at Crystal Palace in London in 1961 on a show . SP had just bought this machine .
The Netherlands , DAJOCAT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #46 by FOWLER MAN » Thu May 16, 2013 8:15 pm

Hi,
More Shillabear Price Gear at work near my home circa 1970/71.
Fred
Shillabear 2jpg.jpg
Shillabear D 8.jpg
Shillabear.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Forster
Flag: Mauritius

Post #47 by Forster » Tue May 21, 2013 10:25 pm

Looking at the condition of the TS24s in the photo's they could well be of the E25 job in Verviers, Belgium. There was also a couple of C6 dozers about. This was a double 12 hour shift operation except, the Belgians (rightly so) did not allow Sunday working so SP worked up to midnight Saturday then recommenced midnight Sunday. The SP general foreman was Charlie Broom, a rather well built Geordie.
Most of the personnel lodged at the Hotel St Jean in Verviers.

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Post #48 by modelman093 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:19 am

Forster wrote:One of the big muck shifters in the 60s was Shellabear Price. I have yet to see any comment whatsoever on this company or, indeed, from anyone who worked for them.
They ran a substantial fleet of TS24s and CAT dozers. They did a lot of power station work and, of course the usual motorway work in that period.
They did a big job in Belgium near Verviers on the E25 in 1964. Blackwood Hodge had a numbers of 24s on hire to SP on that site.
I will be interested to see any response to this post.

If memory serves me right, Shellabears were at Whiddy Island, Bantry bay and also Bewl Water reservoir in East Sussex.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #49 by FOWLER MAN » Wed May 22, 2013 12:38 am

Hi,
Shellabear Price didn't exactly dissapear. They changed their name and traded as Biwater from about 1985 on.
Fred

Paul Murray

Post #50 by Paul Murray » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:30 pm

hi to all the pincher kiddies out there my names paul murray x greaser for macs

Return to “Scrapers”