dick hampton scrabers in the 70 tis

Discuss scrapers here

McGrath

Re: dick hampton scrabers in the 70 tis

Post #51 by McGrath » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Hi Peter, yes, I most certainly remember the name, but can't for the life of me but a face to it. As I keep reminding myself, it was 40 years ago! Could have been M4 lambourn, I was involved there during the second season after Ernei Walker moved on, leaving the Mad Monkk I.C. Likewise with Chudleigh and Taunton. Funny you mention Public Works,I spent a very short period with them in the late 70's, me and Mr Flynn just didn't hit it off, I had to go. He died April last year, God rest hims, great obiturary in the Irish Times. You also mention Brian Wells, wow, we first worked together back around 62 or 63 on Stonebridge and then at Llanndulis in North Wales. I seem to remember he had a place at Crymmych in wilds of Pembrokeshire. The last time I saw him was around 84 when he called in my Pub at Newbury. (I had the Lord Lyon at Stockcross for 11 years) If you do see Brian, please give him my regards. Cheers. Chris

peter s

Post #52 by peter s » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:33 pm

Hi Chris, have"nt been looking on here for a while, been making most of the weather shotblasting and spraying a little old 1948 P3 Ferguson tractor a lot easier than the track type, Iv been talking twice to Brian Wells since you sent your regards to him, he has a boat in the Harbour where I now work ! a bit different from roads, reservoirs and airports, we were looking at some old Hampton"s newsheets from 1970/71 and swopping tales. Brian could relate to a lot more names because like yourself he was a lot higher up the ladder than me in those days, I think you could well be seeing his name on here in the not too distant future. You mentioned you had a pub in Newbury I went into the King Charles a few times I understand that Jimmy Kiernon was very popular in there at a later date. I remember the mad Monk at Lambourn and also Ernie Walker who I had good time for, also the ganger Chalky White. I worked with Ernie again on the M20 in Kent for Dowsett in 1980 I heard that was about one of his last jobs but I cant be sure, I always classed him as a gentleman. Good luck Chris and everyone else, catch you again later.

McGrath

Post #53 by McGrath » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:53 pm

nswer that with out lying. Must finish, catch you latter, Chris

peter s

Post #54 by peter s » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:16 pm

Chris. we only received a few words of the end of your last posting.

McGrath

Post #55 by McGrath » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:34 pm

Woops, made a mess of that, where are the grandchildren when you need them? Try again. Hamptons News Letters, some years ago I found a rake of them in a box in the shed,from as early Port Talbot days, circa 1963 through to 72 M4. I gave them to Gerald Box who has a archive which he rather grandly calld The Hampton Papers. This could be the very vehicle to publish them. I was amused at the mention of Brian Wells having a boat, seem to remember a long saga of a boat back at Pembroke which ended up at the bottom. Chach you latter Cheers Chris

dougie royal

Post #56 by dougie royal » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:19 pm

does any one know where sid haywood (silly sid) these days last seen on M40 douglas,s
reply to dougie royal

peter s

Post #57 by peter s » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:02 pm

To Dougie Royal, are you going to offer Sid a go on your tandem ?

poncho

Post #58 by poncho » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:15 pm

It was great to meet up with Pete Scourfield and Dougie Royle at the vintage tractor show at Malvern last week. if Tony Coates sees this my apologies but I have lost your phone number so if you could give me a bell. I would be grateful. I have driven past your house a couple of times tony, but did not have time to stop and say hi. will do next time. Had a lovely chat to Mick Davis and Mick Collins not so long ago, Will phone you all back soon. Poncho.

peter s

Post #59 by peter s » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:09 am

Hi Poncho yes it was great to meet again after all this time, Binley 1975 that makes it 37 years in my reckoning, quite frightening, I was glad also to see Dougie looking a lot better the pushbike riding must be doing him good. I cant remember if you met up with Nick Jakeman or not who was also at the show. I found that the time went so quick between everything, we managed to reunite our Nuffield tractor with its demonstrator driver as they were on the original advertising brochure in 1964, -48 years ago thats even more frightening, there were quite a few photos taken by the show organisers and they said they would do a story on it so will just have to wait and see. Got back in the house on Monday night about 22.00 and there was a message saying to phone this bloke who was looking for a 637 driver in south Wales, I didnt think there was any left for full time working but I rang him anyway, it turned out to be a windup c/o Wesley Cooper, hadnt spoken to him for quite a few years either had a good craic for about half an hour says he is all up for a reunion. hey man its getting late catch you again soon.

poncho

Post #60 by poncho » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:25 pm

Hi again Peter. great to hear your still keeping your hand in on the 360s and you have got the harbour dredged, I should have enough depth to get my boat in. when I bring it to Saundersfoot in a couple of weeks time. going to get in touch with Derek (slim) Brookes and give him your phone number, ifs thats ok with you. a reunion would not be the same without him. take care.

Return to “Scrapers”