dick hampton scrabers in the 70 tis

Discuss scrapers here

John penfold

Re: dick hampton scrabers in the 70 tis

Post #71 by John penfold » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:06 pm

adetoon wrote:Hi,
I'm Ade Toon - Arthur Toon's daughter, Arthur worked for Dick Hamptons Earthmoving for many years!
Someone made a reference to him, he did sadly pass away on 23rd August 2008 in Burnham on Sea!
I would dearly love to hear any stories or see photo's of Arthur - he was a 'goon' as someone said always laughing - such a blaggard too!

Hi Ade,
I knew your dad very well working with him on Hamptons for many years,

I do have a particular Photo which, you probably do not have, this i can scan and send to you if you so wish, Sorry to hear of Arthurs demise, but he must have been a good age,

Best Regards,
John Penfold

John penfold

Post #72 by John penfold » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:13 pm

adetoon wrote:
McGrath wrote:Hi Peter, yes, I most certainly remember the name, but can't for the life of me but a face to it. As I keep reminding myself, it was 40 years ago! Could have been M4 lambourn, I was involved there during the second season after Ernei Walker moved on, leaving the Mad Monkk I.C. Likewise with Chudleigh and Taunton. Funny you mention Public Works,I spent a very short period with them in the late 70's, me and Mr Flynn just didn't hit it off, I had to go. He died April last year, God rest hims, great obiturary in the Irish Times. You also mention Brian Wells, wow, we first worked together back around 62 or 63 on Stonebridge and then at Llanndulis in North Wales. I seem to remember he had a place at Crymmych in wilds of Pembrokeshire. The last time I saw him was around 84 when he called in my Pub at Newbury. (I had the Lord Lyon at Stockcross for 11 years) If you do see Brian, please give him my regards. Cheers. Chris

Hi,
Ade Toon here, Arthur Toons daughter - Can you remember Arthur? - I know he was at Lambourne as I remember living in a caravan there for a short time as a nipper!!!
I can also remember that name "The Mad Monk" my dad often talked about him, he used to say he had a Jack Russel dog that he used to throw out of the window as he was driving along! I can hear my dad now roaring with laughter!!
We lived in a caravan in Angle Pembrokeshire, which I visited last year, could see the Power Station from Angle Beach!

I can remember Arthur used to take me to work with him sometimes & he put me on one of those big scrapers on his lap & I cryed & cryed & cryed!! - Ha ha

If you can remember anything about Arthur I would love to hear about it!!
Many thanks Ade (Toon) Peters

adetoon

Post #73 by adetoon » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Hello John Penfold,
Oh my, I remember your name, Dad often referred to you...

I would dearly love to see a photo, we don't have many, Arthur was 85 when he died my Mother out lived him for 4 & half years, she died Jan this year at 93, sadly she went a bit funny and threw all my Dads things away, incl all photos and she gave all his tools away, very sad as I was going to give it all to a museum but every time we went to visit something else was gone, she denied it and said she had been burgled?

How are you? Where abouts to you live now? Are you in touch with any of the old Dick Hampton lot?
I can remember the name Norman Shaddock, he was at school with me when we lived in Angle.
I wish he were alive now and could see these pages he would of been so thrilled to hear all these stories of time gone by..

Thank you so much for replying, I will send you my email address for the scan..
Best wishes - Ade Toon

Neil D
Flag: Great Britain

Post #74 by Neil D » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:20 pm

Hey, any of you Dick Hampton men remember a friend of mine, Andy Agnew from Lurgan, Co Armagh, he worked there late seventies early eighties? Andy would have been a fitter.

Neil

peter s

Post #75 by peter s » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi Neil, Dick Hampton sold out to Semore Plant if Iv spelt it right in 74 and did not carry the name on for very long after that, A lot of Dicks fitters went on to Public Works and there was a few Andys, problem was it wasnt very often you got to know their second name. good luck.

Chris if you still watch this page that was a brilliant write up you did in Classic Plant and Machinery, brought back plenty of old memories, please keep them coming. PS Brian Wells called in to see me a week or two ago , he's keeping well,

modelman093

Post #76 by modelman093 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:17 am

I have read that Dick sold out both to Cementation and than in another account to Semore Plant. can someone "who was there" set the record straight before the wrong account gets written into history!

kopite

Post #77 by kopite » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:36 pm

I was around when Dick Hampton was sold to Cementation. He may also have sold some of the older plant to Semore plant but I couldn't say for sure. Never heard of them until now actually.

peter s

Post #78 by peter s » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:34 pm

Ill try and put the record a small bit straighter to the best of my memory, I was there at the time but I am still open for correction. I remember whilst driving for Dick Hampton in or around the late 60s or early 7os we were all informed that we were now part of the Cementation Group, it didnt seem to make any difference to us because I think Dick was still very much in control. Some time later I remember the Cementation group being taken over by Trafalgar House who in turn was later taken over by the Davey Group. All the time Hamptons was still running as a major muck shifting unit despite what was going on in the background. I was still with them in 74 ganging when the Dick Hampton devision was taken over by Semore or Seamore Plant who if my memory serves right was a heavy plant dealer, like I say Im open to correction. If I can remember fairly acurate dates in the future Ill add them in.

jcb4cx

Post #79 by jcb4cx » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:52 pm

i was talking to my dad today ,as i had remembered he used to have a business card in the site office on the tip he used to be on and it was titled "Dick Hampton 1984" it had been given to him by a rep who had come in to see if they were going to do any more gravel extraction and whether they would need any site stripping

he worked on many parts of the M4 including Lambourne section where the river crossing is and remembers the fleets of D8,s there
every village has one , is yours missing you

John penfold

Post #80 by John penfold » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:13 am

Hi Peter,
I keep in touch with Brian Wells and Wendy, I sent the Classic machinery Email address to him recently, and sugested that he contacted, as lots of memories and old names keep croping up.I also recenly sent Cris Mc email address to him so he could further contacts with old friends.

Return to “Scrapers”