d8k 's pulling pans

Discuss scrapers here

Topic author
fiat41b

d8k 's pulling pans

Post #1 by fiat41b » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:23 am

Hello i found this site from Heavy equip forums and glad i did because i really like the 8's pulling pans pictures I live in USA Illinois our ground is similiar to yours from what i can see in roly's photos .
I have a d8k would like to know more about pulling a 463 as there is one forsale back here
what kind of track life do you get and what gear do you run them in
any idea what operting cost are is the production better than a quad track and two pans
i also have a d7 there is a 435 for sale to
please let me no as im interested in the cheapest way to move dirt also what is the farthest
haul distance you average with them.

Rolyd8k

Re: d8k 's pulling pans

Post #2 by Rolyd8k » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:01 pm

fiat41b,A D8K on the front of a 463 is the best you will get,a bit more horse power
than a D8H but mor important a bit heavier for dragging that loaded box round,track
life on a D8k is 6000 hrs and up to 8000 if you trim the roller flanges and dont mind
a rough ride,Berco is good metal but internal wear is a problem and they failed to give
me a guarenteed wet turn because we run on a 28" shoe and not a standard 24", i
found the most economic way with berco is run till they streach out of track adjustment
which we got over 5000hrs then have a set of new dry pin and bush to finish the trackoff,
we now use Cat only and get the guarenteed wet turn to eliminate internal wear,we load
in 1st gear and run in 2nd, we have worked beside quadtracks with our D8s,on our
jobsite they were less productive and more expensive to run,maybe in the desert moving
sand at high speed otherwise they should stick to what they were made for on the
farm pulling ploughs and drills,a tractor and box is the most cost effective way to move short
haul muck,and you will still be working when the rubber is parked up, i hope this helps :thumbs_up:

td14steve

Post #3 by td14steve » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:04 pm

Hi Roly, HD41, I cna attest to the mud you guys get over there as I was stationed in Essex in th early 1980,s and you guys have some impressive mud in the Fall Winter and Spring. I think it was bottomless in some places. I mired our HD 21 AC one spring pushed through the same tracks once to many times and there she stayed luckily we had a Td15 nearby to help out. Steve

Topic author
fiat41b

Post #4 by fiat41b » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:53 am

Hello again,
Im looking at a landfill cell to be dug Roly can you tell me what kind of yardage i could move
per day with say 3 tractors 1 D8k and 463 and 2 D8h cat 80 pan the ground is yellow brown clay and then you get into a grayclay not shale this stuff is really tight it will support rigid frame trucks like a cat 769 the area to be excavated is around 400x600 x 10' deep which is a rectangle shape running north and south has existing landfill to its north and east side so the south end gets 400' dam and the west side is where to put the spoil dirt actually it would be the from the middle of the westside down to the south end and the tow or side of the stock pile has to be kept at least 50' from the cell your imput would be great what knid of funds do you guys get for something like this.

Rolyd8k

Post #5 by Rolyd8k » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:36 pm

fiat41b,depending on length of haule or if you use a push tractor or not,you should
move per tractor 800-1000m3, with a pusher 1000-1500m3 per day depending how
long are your days and do you use 3rd gear or not,hope this helps :thumbs_up:

Topic author
fiat41b

Post #6 by fiat41b » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:54 pm

Roly do you ever have problems with removing the earth from sticking in the scraper i know that sometimes if i push load some twin engines scrapers and the dirt is heavy and stickey and i push to hard its hard to get out
will a cable scraper have more trouble with getting a a tight load out i have never used a cable before. i asked my friend about hireing his 2 d8h tractors with cat 80 pans for the landfill job im bidding and i would use my d8k and a 463 that is hydraulic that im looking at purchasing they would probably let me rent it first.

Rolyd8k

Post #7 by Rolyd8k » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:48 pm

fiat41b,weve never had a problem ejecting a load of wet sticky dirt from our scrapers
no matter how hard its been rammed in by a pusher,when we converted them to hyd
we fitted a big enough tip ram to handle it,theres more chance breaking a rope on a
cable scraper with a big load,even then you need to unload down hill to help the dirt
fall out,have you any pictures of your machines in action.

Topic author
fiat41b

Post #8 by fiat41b » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:13 am

i will try to post a few pictures Roly
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
fiat41b

Post #9 by fiat41b » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:16 am

more photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
fiat41b

Post #10 by fiat41b » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:20 am

hope you dont mind pictures i have no idea how to post them i one lump so bare with me and i will send a few across the pond.

Return to “Scrapers”