Komatsu WS 235 motor scraper

Discuss scrapers here

v8diesel0121

Re: Komatsu WS 235 motor scraper

Post #21 by v8diesel0121 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:15 am

Hi Guys,
a bit late to reply, and new to the forum, i worked up on the A42 at Measham/Ashby in the late 80's the WS23's were working alongside Blackwells 641B's, Komatsu never got the transmissions right (wont bore you with the details) but they was a pretty reliable machine (as most komatsu's are) performance wise, i have a soft spot for 631's especially the D's, so i'm biased towards the Cat scrapers . But fast forward to 2006 and in a galaxy far far away! (well Dubai to be accurate!) i purchased the very same Ex Blackwell machines
we had a major contract at jebel Ali Airport (proposed to be the worlds biggest airport with 5 runways, they got as far as 1 runway before the credit crunch hit!) at the time their was a major shortage of equipment, and the asking price was cheap, a deal done, we put them through our workshops, air con pods fitted to the cabs, and put to work, they completed that project, then went onto another Muck (sand) job at the new dubai police college, after that they were parked up and i believe sold last year ( i had moved on in 2010 ) i can only guess that they are in east or west africa now.
on operating them, they where powerfull machines (Fast!), the nitrogen front struts ?, nowhere as good as the cushion hitch on the cats, and lets just say the transmissions had a mind of their own when shifiting, But hey they worked!.
attached picture is of them parked up with the 631D's and the 275 pusher at jebel Ali airport
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark Williams

Post #22 by Mark Williams » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:06 am

Hello All,
F Shephard,Hill of Chesterfeild also had 4 of these Komatsu WS 235 scrapers,purchased in the 80s,they could be the ones at HCL in Nottingham,Can anyone confirm this?
Blackwells Komatsu scapers were also on hire to Shand Mining at Ffyndaff o.c.c.s in South Wales in the 80s,my freind was the fitter looking after them.Later Shand used their own Cat 631Ds on the same site.
A question for Tony Coates,did the Komatsu's have diff lock,or was that the reason that they would spin on the ramps?
Oh how i wished I"d taken photos and video,never crossed my mind then.
Regards,
Mark.

tctractors
Flag: Great Britain

Post #23 by tctractors » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:35 am

Mark, I have never even sat in the seat of 1 of these beast's, my only contact with them realy was screwing the queerbox back together, this was a minimal liability job done by M.K. I think I was banging and clanging on it for about 3 days total and on a "Mission"

tctractors

Mark Williams

Post #24 by Mark Williams » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:58 am

Hya Tony,
When I read your post with the word mission,it sent a shivers through me of various problems Ive had with transmissions in my career.I have worked for the Cat dealer in Wales and across Canada,where I was in the tranny shop for 5 years.I hate it when a customer brings the tranny to the shop in bits and we have to put it back together.I have had a few where they have not made pressure on the test bed in this case,due to cracked housings or even casting faults,but its always your fault and what did you do wrong,until you get stressed and find the cure.A 992C tranny just came to my mind,lol
Take care,
Mark.

tctractors

Post #25 by tctractors » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:54 am

Mark, have you ever done a trans rebuild on any Torqueflow (Komatsu) queer-box's, the early ones where full of brass rings and brass thrust washers, they only needed a few simple hand tools to work on them, the torque converters always seemed to have 2 bearings with a V etched into them and it was important to get the V bits lined up >< the down side was the amount of bits you had to strip off a Komatsu dozer to remove the transmission, 15 or 20 years ago the D65 tractor was the banger to run, the early tractors used the Cummins engine and credit to them could run rings around any CAT so there was good money to earn poking them back to work after the "Calvedown" I used to enjoy working on them, CAT transmissions always seemed a lot easier to strip out of the tractor plus the bits were always no trouble to get hold of but the Komatsu gearbox's always sounded better and ran longer than the CAT chunk of iron, the High-drive transmission is without doubt the simplest thing to strip out ever I love em???

tctractors

Mark Williams

Post #26 by Mark Williams » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:19 pm

Hya Tony,
I have only been involved with Twin Disc & Cat transmissions,as I spent 5 years in Toromont Cats reman powertrain shop.
Regards from Ontario,
Mark.

bigkit

Post #27 by bigkit » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:55 pm

I see you had the air con put on the 275 pusher as well.........bet the driver was pleased with the result! :lol: :thumbup:

:gooodpost:

AMRoss

Post #28 by AMRoss » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:22 pm

Blackwell scrapers at Sunderland in 1984.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Scrapers”