New drivers CPC

Discuss heavy haulage here

tim
Flag: Great Britain

Re: New drivers CPC

Post #31 by tim » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:28 am

I think jimmy 130 has summed up the CPC about right-complete pure crap-and apparently,according to one of the latest truck mags there will be no lee-way when the deadline comes in September 2014-the feature goes on to say "Driving Standards Agency statistics show that the number of people coming into the industry qualified and ready to drive is alarmingly down since the introduction of the Driver CPC (in 2009)"-I wonder why?.
As for the H&S-it varies from site to site-I was doing muck away the other day and got out of the cab to get my ticket signed by the machine driver -I had my hard hat on and glasses,which I wear for vision any way and some jobsworth comes over and tells me if I get out of the cab I've got to put gloves on as well-just to get a ticket signed? Where is this all going to end? :?

martyn williams

Re: New drivers CPC

Post #32 by martyn williams » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:28 am

Dead right Jeremy. I get pressured in my job on safety matters.I have to make an on the spot decision,make the wrong call and it could prove costly for the company and may have an impact on safety.I have no problem with that because I can call on years of experience.My worry is that we have a young lad on our gang,so far he has been lucky and not had to attend an "incident" ,if you are not forcefull enough and don't have experience behind you,you could be in deep doo doo if you make the wrong call. We have PTS and DP certificates plus other bits of plastic bollcocks we have to carry with us. But its all meaningless if you don't know how to operate in the working enviroment,that important bit is not taught.You just do the course and your are on your own,no mentor, nothing.
Martyn

Return to “Heavy Haulage”