Truck Regulations

Discuss heavy haulage here

Topic author
denick

Truck Regulations

Post #1 by denick » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:20 pm

Looking at the pictures of some of the trucks I am curious about the regulation of trucks in other countries. In America we have a federal organization that sets the rules on truck operation and safety. It is quite extensive in it's rules. Each state can then add to that rule but must enforce the federal regulation.

Some of the categories regulated are:
Drivers, Every other year medical exams, Background checks, A Federally regulated drivers license, Limit on hours driving/working etc...
Truck load weight limits, 80,000.00 maximum on any truck or truck/trailer. to go over 80,000. you need a permit. Every state has a different
permit system. Weights for trucks are governed by the number of axle's. There are fixed weigh stations and portable scales out checking all the
time.
Truck safety inspections, The federal regulations are enforced by roadside inspection. These can be from paper work checks to a level one, which
is a very complete mechanical check.
Documentation, Paperwork and record keeping. The fines for not doing the paperwork are higher than the fines for a dangerous vehicle violation.
Cargo, There is a written rule book that dictates everything involved in transporting a load. example, size chain, how many chain, number of
binders, where they can be attached for all the different types of loads that might be secured to a truck or trailer.

Nick

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Truck Regulations

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:16 pm

Hi Nick,

Yes we have plenty of crap and stupid regulations overhere too :( I had to have a medical at 45 to retain my LGV license and will need my next medical when I hit 50.
There are plenty of Ministry roadside checks too, everything from checking to see if your running on red diesel to checking tachograph hours and vehicle condition etc....
When I finished my truck mechanic days I think 38tons was the maximum permitted weight for an articulated truck, after that weight you hit whats called STGO (Special Types General Order) which has three classes, type one is loads at 80tons and over forget what the other categories are but they take the weight upto the 80ton mark if memory serves me correctly.

Jeremy

Ross

Post #3 by Ross » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:08 pm

Pretty Strict in the UK

1' All Trucks 7500Kgs GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) and over need to have a Tacograph fitted, Record's everything.

2' Bigger Truck's. 10ton GVW and over Have speed limiter's fitted. 56mph or so. No exeption's.

3' Bigger Truck's. 10ton GVW and over have to be Inspected every 6 weeks And record's keep for VOSA.

4' ALL Trucks need to have an MOT Test every 12 month. No exeption. Multi-Fail can lead to 5, 4 or even 2 week
Inspection's. Epic fail can lead to the Haulage Operator's licence revok!

5' Truck tire's. Min Legal limit 1mm tread thickness.

6' All Vehicles Need to Pay Road TAX <~~~~~ Boo

Neversweat
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by Neversweat » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:41 pm

All trucks over 3500kgs must be fitted with a tachograph and if registered from sept 2001 and fitted with a Euro 3 engine must have a speed limiter set to 56 mph/90 kmh.

All vehicles over 3500kg have to be specified on an Operators licence and depending on the type of operation must be inspected every 4 -6 -8 -10 or 12 weeks depending on the man from the ministry. The bulk of vehicles are every 6 weeks.We do a few that are on 10 and 12 week cycles but the mileage they do ins minimal.

Steve :)

Ross

Post #5 by Ross » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:55 pm

Nice one Steve :thumbs_up:

Neversweat wrote:All trucks over 3500kgs must be fitted with a tachograph and if registered from sept 2001 and fitted with a Euro 3 engine must have a speed limiter set to 56 mph/90 kmh.

All vehicles over 3500kg have to be specified on an Operators licence and depending on the type of operation must be inspected every 4 -6 -8 -10 or 12 weeks depending on the man from the ministry. The bulk of vehicles are every 6 weeks.We do a few that are on 10 and 12 week cycles but the mileage they do ins minimal.

Steve :)

When I served my time the Leyland Roadrunner's didnt have limiter's (They should have because they where like Greyhound's :D ) All the Foden 6 wheelers, 8's and Tractor unit's done the 6 week cycle. Only the Trailer's could go 12 weeks.

The leyland Contactor's (6 and 8 wheeler's) done the 6 weeker as well. Even the newer DAF's could only go 6 weeks before they where pulling into the shop.

I never knew they could Vary the inspection duration! Maybe the fact that some of the Vehicles where tired and one or two where involved in some traffic accidents.

Jack

Post #6 by Jack » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:49 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:When I finished my truck mechanic days I think 38tons was the maximum permitted weight for an articulated truck, after that weight you hit whats called STGO (Special Types General Order) which has three classes, type one is loads at 80tons and over forget what the other categories are but they take the weight upto the 80ton mark if memory serves me correctly.

Jeremy

Cat 1 - 40-80ton
Cat 2 - 80-150ton
cat 3 - 150ton and above

Neversweat
Flag: Great Britain

Post #7 by Neversweat » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:22 pm

I never knew they could Vary the inspection duration! Maybe the fact that some of the Vehicles where tired and one or two where involved in some traffic accidents.

Hi Ross

The ones we look after on 10 and 12 week cycles are on fruit & veg and plant sales (the flowery kind) respectively.
Tippers,skips and the like are more often to be found on 4 week cycles.
I think if you apply for a licence now you have to have reserves of £3.500 per vehicle specified on the licence.
You have to provide 3 months audited accounts to show this.

Steve :thumbs_up:

davej

Post #8 by davej » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:03 pm

Jack wrote:Cat 1 - 40-80ton
Cat 2 - 80-150ton
cat 3 - 150ton and above

Sorry jack...wrong.....

Cat 1 50 tonnes gross.. 11.5tonnes max axle loads
Cat 2 80 tonnes gross.. 12.5tonnes max axle loads
Cat 3 150 tonnes gross..16.5tonnes max axle loads

Also speed restrictions apply to these different categories, also the relevant police and highway authorities require notification of intention to move..

every vehicle that is used under STGO regulations is required to carry a plate from the manufacturers showing speeds vs allowed weights..

an insight in to the regulations is here....
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/drivingforwork/largeorheavyloads/backgroundanddefinitions?page=1
Dave
my mumblings and general witterings....http://normanshowse.blogspot.com/

Topic author
denick

Post #9 by denick » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:34 pm

It seems like things aren't much different over there. The authorities regulate, regulate, regulate, regulate.......

Who does, and where are, these inspections done?

Jeremy Rowland

Post #10 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:59 am

denick wrote:It seems like things aren't much different over there. The authorities regulate, regulate, regulate, regulate.......

Who does, and where are, these inspections done?

Vehicle inspections are carried out at local government vehicle test centres, and of course at various set places on the roadside where the police are used to pull vehicles over for Ministry guys to check over.
To be fair I don't really care much for what the law says it's just a load of *ollocks as far as I am concerned and I am more than happy to break it as I see fit, because it would appear that common sense is never applied by the law. We have politicians in every country and all they ever do is regulate and legislate and you thought it was a free world?

Jeremy

Return to “Heavy Haulage”