Down in the woods today.

Talk about forest machines here

DaveS

Re: Down in the woods today.

Post #21 by DaveS » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:33 pm

BulldozerD11 wrote:

Is James Jones the builder of Highlander brand equipment / conversions or are they another firm ?

It certainly is. Their engineering division was at Foundry Loan , Larbert, Stirlingshire - now a housing estate.

BulldozerD11 wrote:Can you point me to any more info on Cheftain Forge and James Jones so i can add them to my list of converters etc.

Sadly no, at least not on the web. I was involved in different ways with the two companies and have some literature from both and had the privilege to look through Chieftains archive before the place shut. Jones even had a librarian, so hopefully their collection still exists!!

BulldozerD11 wrote:Wartsilla as a crane manufacturer are a new one to me - thanks

Great little timber crane, the slewing rams revolving with the crane, strangely. Many users were disapointed when they ceased production.

BulldozerD11 wrote::idea: So then why have front wheels then - so drop the axle and create the 'classic' ADT layout, as the front wheels would only get caut up in the trash and stumps etc in the forest. But who did it first is the $10,000 question

All done and well documented Dave, as the Scandinavians had a HUGE number of forest machine manufacturers at the time building ever developing machines, often on British tractors with Massey, Ford, Muir-Hill and County being the basis for pretty sophisticated integrated forwarders, not just tractor and trailer things. A great read, illustrating much of it, is a book called Tracks in the Forest.

Regards,

Dave. S.

Topic author
pk1200

Post #22 by pk1200 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:28 pm

Thanks for all your input David,maybe you have an old photo or two hidden away,all's welcome here.

DaveS

Post #23 by DaveS » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:19 am

Carrying on the track theme, here's a nice LGP set on a Fiat for peat work. I like the home-cooked front wheel setup!

These tracks were made by the Italians, who had developed such systems for export for use in rice paddy fields.

I've seen four wheel drive Fiats with a smaller set of the same tracks on the front giving a '70s Quad-Track style. :D

Dave. S.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

clockworklozenge

Post #24 by clockworklozenge » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:14 pm

clockworklozenge

Post #25 by clockworklozenge » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:19 pm

clockworklozenge

Post #26 by clockworklozenge » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:26 pm

Topic author
pk1200

Post #27 by pk1200 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:04 pm

Great photos, thanks for posting. I see that the tyres on the front of the forwarder are badly worn.I wonder is this common or is it that they have been changed at different times.

BulldozerD11

Post #28 by BulldozerD11 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:43 pm

DaveS wrote:Carrying on the track theme, here's a nice LGP set on a Fiat for peat work. I like the home-cooked front wheel setup!

These tracks were made by the Italians, who had developed such systems for export for use in rice paddy fields.

I've seen four wheel drive Fiats with a smaller set of the same tracks on the front giving a '70s Quad-Track style. :D

Dave. S.

:thumbup: Dave

Several firms built add on track kits - remenber the Cuthbertson ones seen on some landrovers.

As you say onteresting frnt wheel set up

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

BulldozerD11

Post #29 by BulldozerD11 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:48 pm

:claphands: Good collection there Clockwork.

Like the county with the crane on the roof and no ovbiouse support frame

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Topic author
pk1200

Post #30 by pk1200 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:07 am

Is the county a Jones converted machine.Note that the slew cyclinders are at the top of the column when most would be at the base nowadays.

Return to “Forest Machines”