Thwaites Tusker Digger Wanted

Are you searching for equipment?
Forum rules
Please use so called TAGS in the subject of the post when posting in here.
[For sale]
[Wanted]
[Exchange]
[Swap]

Topic author
NorthernEngine

Thwaites Tusker Digger Wanted

Post #1 by NorthernEngine » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:38 pm

Hi,

Im looking for an old Thwaites Tusker Digger if anyone knows of one for sale?

Tatty is good, as long as it runs and doesnt have any serious problems.

Ideally in Scotland, but would travel anywhere for the right machine.

Not after a show stopper - I want something I can put to work and play with at the weekends :o)

Also after a running but unrestored Petter AVA1.

Many thanks

todd5

Re: Thwaites Tusker Digger Wanted

Post #2 by todd5 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:42 pm

2 on ebay search diggers, then farming. theres two on there expect to pay £850 - £1200

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by XS650 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:47 pm

They often come up in 'Classic Plant and Machinery ' magazine as well.
Not all those who wander are lost.

Topic author
NorthernEngine

Post #4 by NorthernEngine » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:40 pm

Thanks chaps - I do ebay but Il check the mag too.

I clocked the one on Ebay, but only the one?? Suspect the other finished a day or two ago - if so I viewed it before it went on Ebay. The chap told me it was a good runner, but when I got there it was a wreck. It hadnt ran for several years, bits missing, couldnt test anything as Id taken no tools etc - I was so p****d off after my 200 mile round trip that I walked away in disgust, even though he was only asking £400. Foolish in hindsight, but I do wish folk would be honest with their descriptions!

Topic author
NorthernEngine

Post #5 by NorthernEngine » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:01 pm

GOT ONE!! :o)

Julian

Post #6 by Julian » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:04 pm

NorthernEngine wrote:GOT ONE!! :o)

Pictures :?: :idea: ;)

Julian.

Topic author
NorthernEngine

Post #7 by NorthernEngine » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:21 am

Will do.... as soon as I get it home! :D

braveheart!

Post #8 by braveheart! » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:34 pm

i have a tusker - not for sale though - but if any one can tell me how to get the clutch apart i would be very grateful - also if i wanted to put it on the road , is it a dumper or a digger ? [ for registration purposes ]
in fact if anyone can tell me anything about my ' machine ' i would again be very grateful

Topic author
NorthernEngine

Post #9 by NorthernEngine » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:05 am

Hi - I cant help you with the clutch Im afraid, but I would think it needs to be registered as a digger. Not sure if you would need to add an alternator and a light pack for road use?

I dont know much about them either - other than they were originally supplied with both digging arm and dumper bucket, so you could swap them as you wish. I cant believe many folk did though, as one without the other is a bit US. Just a couple of pins hold the whole attachemnt on though, so its easy enough.
Main problem they have is the lack of weight over the back end - its VERY easy to tip yourself over the front even with the stabilizers right down. Im building a frame out back on mine in which I will stack 20+ dense blocks to try and keep the back end down a bit.
Overall weight for transport by the way is about 1.6 ton.

Im after a wide ditching bucket and a narrow trenching bucket for mine if anyone has any for sale.

NevB

Post #10 by NevB » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:10 pm

braveheart! wrote:i have a tusker - not for sale though - but if any one can tell me how to get the clutch apart i would be very grateful - also if i wanted to put it on the road , is it a dumper or a digger ? [ for registration purposes ]
in fact if anyone can tell me anything about my ' machine ' i would again be very grateful

I too have a tusker (not for sale), well worn but starts well and still does it's job albeit in a rather unsophisticated way.

Re the clutch, it is not a conventional system but in fact a pair of brake shoes and a drum. I checked mine over last year when I removed the gearbox to replace a bearing and seals. Remove the rear panel (where you stick the starting handle) and you will see the clutch release mechanism and tinwork cowling. Under there is a roller chain and sprockets, I can't remember all the details of disassembly but logic and common sense will kick in when you get this far. If you need more help feel free to ask and I will try and get my memory box kickstarted.

Cheers,
Nev.

Return to “Wanted”