Wanted - JCB 3C or similar

Are you searching for equipment?
Forum rules
Please use so called TAGS in the subject of the post when posting in here.
[For sale]
[Wanted]
[Exchange]
[Swap]

Topic author
Simon_F3
Flag: Great Britain

Wanted - JCB 3C or similar

Post #1 by Simon_F3 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:46 pm

Hi all, I'm after a working 3C Mkii or Mkiii, ideally with 4 in 1 bucket and pallet forks. I'm based in the midlands and happy to travel to have a look at any suitable examples.
Not bothered by mechanical or cosmetic issues as long as it starts, moves and digs!
Other makes/models happily considered but only in the same price range as would be expected for a 3C as above.
Thanks in advance, Simon

essexpete

Re: Wanted - JCB 3C or similar

Post #2 by essexpete » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:54 pm

Budget might be helpful?

Topic author
Simon_F3

Post #3 by Simon_F3 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:22 pm

Good point, essexpete!
Well, budget is always a subjective thing... Up to about 5k for a decent example I guess (inc VAT if that applies). There are a few examples advertised that look potentially promising but I thought I'd ask here in case anyone has one they are thinking of selling but haven't yet advertised.
3C Mkii manual would be preferred as it shares a lot of parts with my Leyland tractor but I'm open to any ideas.
Cheers, Simon

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:01 pm

Personally, if you can find one, I would go for a build 5 powertrain. So much better to drive and than the manual gearbox and the shuttle can be removed for repair without too much of a problem. I am also guessing the later machine were more likely to be speced with a 4in1. Find one in a good state mechanically and expect the cab to be nonexistent, sh1t or heading that way.

MrF
Flag: France

Post #5 by MrF » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:45 pm

Which leyland tractor do you have Simon? The 3c3 is based on the 270 skid, but the mk2 is potentially a 384 with 38dt etc. I think the 3c3 is a improvement over the 2 in quite a number of ways having had some experience of working on both and I like the brockhouse shuttle in my 3c3 but I confess its the only part I haven't had to fix so far in 10 years of ownership, although they are not well liked in comparison to the later powertrain setup.
I have a 3in1 with bucket forks on my 3c3. Its awkward to see what you are doing with the forks compared to a framehead mounted fork or a fork truck but nothing a banksperson can't help with but mostly I scoop things up with the bucket.
Just chipping in as a current owner, don't have one to sell, but your budget should secure a nice one in good working fettle, what Pete says about the cab is also spot on I'm afraid but I'd expect a decent cab for that kind of money.

Topic author
Simon_F3

Post #6 by Simon_F3 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:28 pm

Thanks MrF,
I've got a Leyland 245 which is a great little machine, and I'm quite familiar now with a lot of the mechanics on it.
I appreciate the advice (and also from essexpete) regarding the different variants of 3C. I had read somewhere that the torque converter models were best avoided as the torque converters themselves were apparently impossible to repair/replace, but I now realise that advice does not apply to the powertrain model! And it may not be particularly sound advice in the first place...
Anyway, I'm hopefully going to look at a 1979 3C in the next few days, and possibly a 1969 one, so I'll report back if either of them is a winner.

essexpete

Post #7 by essexpete » Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:10 pm

MrF wrote:Which leyland tractor do you have Simon? The 3c3 is based on the 270 skid, but the mk2 is potentially a 384 with 38dt etc. I think the 3c3 is a improvement over the 2 in quite a number of ways having had some experience of working on both and I like the brockhouse shuttle in my 3c3 but I confess its the only part I haven't had to fix so far in 10 years of ownership, although they are not well liked in comparison to the later powertrain setup.
I have a 3in1 with bucket forks on my 3c3. Its awkward to see what you are doing with the forks compared to a framehead mounted fork or a fork truck but nothing a banksperson can't help with but mostly I scoop things up with the bucket.
Just chipping in as a current owner, don't have one to sell, but your budget should secure a nice one in good working fettle, what Pete says about the cab is also spot on I'm afraid but I'd expect a decent cab for that kind of money.

When using the forks do you open the clam? You can see through the opening to the forks more easily.

essexpete

Post #8 by essexpete » Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:13 pm

Simon_F3 wrote:Thanks MrF,
I've got a Leyland 245 which is a great little machine, and I'm quite familiar now with a lot of the mechanics on it.
I appreciate the advice (and also from essexpete) regarding the different variants of 3C. I had read somewhere that the torque converter models were best avoided as the torque converters themselves were apparently impossible to repair/replace, but I now realise that advice does not apply to the powertrain model! And it may not be particularly sound advice in the first place...
Anyway, I'm hopefully going to look at a 1979 3C in the next few days, and possibly a 1969 one, so I'll report back if either of them is a winner.

We had a 1970 11 with the Brockhouse. We had no bother with it but that was a long time ago. The build 5 transmission is still repairable and more easily removed from the machine.

Return to “Wanted”