Oxy/Acet bottles

Put your equipment for sale here
Forum rules
Please use so called TAGS in the subject of the post when posting in here.
[For sale]
[Wanted]
[Exchange]
[Swap]

Topic author
Julian

Oxy/Acet bottles

Post #1 by Julian » Mon May 07, 2012 9:29 pm

Full size, one of each.

These were left in an outbuilding of the property I purchased, there's no paperwork with them and they're empty. I've not touched them in 6 years and would like them out of the way, unfortunately the scrap metal merchants don't want pressure vessels.

Would suit someone who has a mate with some 'legitimate' bottles and has the necessary hoses to transfer the gasses. Free to a good home but buyer collects!

Julian.

Diglet

Re: Oxy/Acet bottles

Post #2 by Diglet » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:42 pm

The scrapper will take damaged bottles. ie With a hole drilled in them, shot with a high velocity armour piercing round or sliced with an angle grinder or whatever is handy at the time.
Take care with the acetylene. Remove the valve, empty it and fill with water to be on the safe side.
I'm not certain but I think acetylene bottles have acetone in them which is a highly inflammable liquid.
Good luck!

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:09 pm

If safely empty they might make a useful bollard/post. Careful! I found what seemed like empty bottles and used quite a bit of acetylene from it.

v8druid
Flag: Wales

Post #4 by v8druid » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:46 pm

Julian wrote:Full size, one of each.

These were left in an outbuilding of the property I purchased, there's no paperwork with them and they're empty. I've not touched them in 6 years and would like them out of the way, unfortunately the scrap metal merchants don't want pressure vessels.

Would suit someone who has a mate with some 'legitimate' bottles and has the necessary hoses to transfer the gasses. Free to a good home but buyer collects!

Julian.

Hi Julian,
I used to be an agent for BOC gases, before having to retire due to illness.
If you just want shot of them, call the relevant owners (no botttles are ever privately owned and always remain the property of BOC / Air Products / BIG / whoever) and they'll happily collect them from you.
Alternatively take the necks (valves) out of them and the scrappy'll take them.
Be VERY wary handling/doing anything to, the DA bottle as they're a potential bomb, especially when virtually empty.
Yes they do contain acetone, into which the acteylene is stored in a dissolved state (DA=dissolved actylene) and which is also highly flammable.
Decanting gases from one cylinder to another is not recommended, especially DA as a quantity of acetone is lost as the acetylene is used each time and the volume of it in the cylinder diminishes, rendering the contents eventually unstable.

Also remember that they're high pressure cylinders and inately dangerous in their own right. An O2 cylinder contains over 3000psi of pressure when full and will penetrate your flesh in a small enough jet (which can be as big as a 6mm hose) without a pressure regulator attached to the neck, which is the only way you'll achieve a decant.

Best course of action is let them 'go home', from whence they came originally .

regards,

The Druid
If it's got tracks, wheels, t*ts, or an engine, at some point it's gonna give you trouble!!

Return to “For sale”