coles crane

Discuss cranes here

Topic author
mechman
Flag: Great Britain

coles crane

Post #1 by mechman » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:17 pm

hi mechman here
apart from my dumper ive been offered a greater challenge its a 1955 ish coles 6ton diesel electric crane
its been stood 5year_ problem is water in oil besides head gskt & liner seals cant think of much else. Engine looks 4d ish not quite identified yet, Worst case swop engine.
Has anyone had any dealings with type of machine/engine :|

danielschmidt

Re: coles crane

Post #2 by danielschmidt » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:22 am

Hi Mechman

It will be helpful if you'll post pictures.
Hanlon & Wright, the trusted name in Machinery Relocation

TrevorJ
Flag: Australia

Post #3 by TrevorJ » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:07 am

How much water are you talking about?

Condensation will explain some water. It's standard here to drop out the bung to the last thread on a vehicle that's been sitting, to check for sludge or water.

Was it stored in an area that floods?

Not familiar with the engine, but to add to the list where water and oil can mix, if the engine has a heat exchanger - that's always a possibility, but really down the list.

Topic author
mechman

Post #4 by mechman » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:01 pm

Hi all.
The oil is a bit high on the stick, the water low.The oil is grey (think i feel a song coming on) that was the reason it was parked up.Its parked on land thats not prone to flooding,Its sank a few inches but its expected for the length of time its stood. It doesnt have a heat exchanger but it does have a couple of birds nests in there now.Ive too much on at the moment to crack on with it, but will in the very near future.
The engine is a ford 4 cylinder diesel. looks like a 4d but not sure if they were out in that era.Couldnt get enough access to ID motor as inspection panels were seized.
Norm.
Last edited by mechman on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

TrevorJ

Post #5 by TrevorJ » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:41 am

Yeah that sounds like the usual tell that water has seeped. But it the top tank of the radiator isn't completely empty, that's not exactly a great deal of water after 5 years ... but I'd expect once the old girl got hot again, the seep could be a problem.

Being a ford engine of around that era, the very next thing I would list to check out, is for porosity in the sleeves / liner at the crankshaft end, which is a common issue here, when chasing up the older ford engines in tractors which have been put out to pasture. To do that though you're pulling the sleeves / liner out and pretty much the same as an overhaul -- even if the sleeves / liner are ok, you'll be needing to replace the orings, of which from memory there are three different possible sizes depending on engine model.

Topic author
mechman

Post #6 by mechman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:44 am

Trevor.
Ive also been thinking about liner situation,if it has to go that far i think a staight swop could be the order of the day,only hope its head problems ie gskts etc will know better with head off. Everything seems easy to work on when access panels are opened.
Norm :thumbup: .

TrevorJ

Post #7 by TrevorJ » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:37 pm

It might seem like a big deal pulling them out, a lot depends on access to the engine, but sometimes it's just a matter of doing it. I'd expect the main drawback is leaning right over while pulling the furtherest liner out with a puller when the engine is still the frame, unless you're lucky enough to be able to work from the side.

But not pulling them out means - not having to drop the sump, and drop out pistons. So here's hoping you find something significant on the head gasket.

Topic author
mechman

Post #8 by mechman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:50 pm

Thanks for info trevor.
The engine is very accessable and i would remove it for major surgery ,hence the idea of a straight swop.
The offending article is 11 miles from where i live and only have limited use of transport at the moment so time factor is a bit limited oh and the atrocious weather at the moment
:dizzy: Norm

Topic author
mechman

Post #9 by mechman » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:37 pm

Hi all.
The latest id i managed to get off the net today is according to very poor fotos is that the crane is a COLES PROTEUS MOBILE(C) SELF PROPELLED CANTILEVER . LIFT WEIGHT = 6TON. POWER= DIESEL ELECTRIC.
Intro date about 1959 but no more info than that.A Perrhus mobile (C) lift weight 3 ton shown as a 1956 model.No specs given as to engine make or size.I know they fitted BMC as well as FORD its def a ford.Gonna have to get stuck in and id it positively.
Norm :|

Topic author
mechman

Post #10 by mechman » Mon May 12, 2014 4:00 pm

Hi guys
Just had another quick look at crane engine and it has a decompression lever fitted to it Ive not come across one fitted to a 4 cylinder ford before,anyway am gonna swop it for a 4D if possible.
Norm :wave:

Return to “Cranes”