Helicopter crashes into crane

Discuss cranes here

Topic author
martyn williams

Helicopter crashes into crane

Post #1 by martyn williams » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:54 pm

Very sad to hear about the loss of life in this mornings crash in central London.It could have been a lot worse as it happened in rushhour. Making that crane safe and removing the damage sections is going to be a difficult task.
Martyn
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-21040410

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Helicopter crashes into crane

Post #2 by topkit » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:29 pm

It's going to be a pretty big crane brought in for that job, i know that crane must be all of 120 plus metres, its a good job it was tied into the building otherwise it could have been a lot worse than it aready is. I bet the crane operator is thanking his lucky stars that he was late in today!

modelman093

Post #3 by modelman093 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:56 pm

topkit wrote:It's going to be a pretty big crane brought in for that job, i know that crane must be all of 120 plus metres, its a good job it was tied into the building otherwise it could have been a lot worse than it aready is. I bet the crane operator is thanking his lucky stars that he was late in today!

I have read elsewhere - 770 feet which I make 236m - can anyone confirm?

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:10 am

It said on the news that its heght was over 700 foot !.the tallest crane in the UK.It looks to be dipped pretty bad on its slew ring,counterweights and motors pulling it off balance.A mobile would be in danger if used to dismantle it I would have thought.
Martyn

essexpete

Post #5 by essexpete » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:46 pm

Heard the Crane driver on Rad Essex this am. Very pragmatic and also very relieved to have been late for work. There have been rumours that the crane was not lit sufficiently but apparently under the conditions it would have been unlikely to have made any difference. No doubt there will be calls for changes but the track record for city aviation is surely good on the most part??

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #6 by martyn williams » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:08 pm

Dont think a red beacon light would have made it any safer, a strobe collision light maybe. Being on the flight path for Heathrow also made it harder for the pilot ,restricting his height that he could be safe. The poor weather on that morning was a major factor.
As for the crane driver,lucky he was late for work.When your times up that it,not his time yet thankfully.
click on link
http://www.cnplus.co.uk/regional-news/london/latest-uks-biggest-crane-on-way-to-vauxhall-tower-crash-site/8641339.article

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #7 by martyn williams » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:21 pm

This was an alarming Helicopter accident,just shows you need 1000 percent concentration to fly those things
[video]http://youtu.be/v5aMT9MBfZI[/video]

modelman093

Post #8 by modelman093 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:36 pm

B100 LOADER wrote:Dont think a red beacon light would have made it any safer, a strobe collision light maybe. Being on the flight path for Heathrow also made it harder for the pilot ,restricting his height that he could be safe. The poor weather on that morning was a major factor.
As for the crane driver,lucky he was late for work.When your times up that it,not his time yet thankfully.
click on link
http://www.cnplus.co.uk/regional-news/london/latest-uks-biggest-crane-on-way-to-vauxhall-tower-crash-site/8641339.article

Looks as though one has to take out a subscription to read past the headline?

jcb4cx

Post #9 by jcb4cx » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:49 pm

B100 LOADER wrote:Dont think a red beacon light would have made it any safer, a strobe collision light maybe. Being on the flight path for Heathrow also made it harder for the pilot ,restricting his height that he could be safe. The poor weather on that morning was a major factor.
click on link

due to the weather conditions ,i doubt it would have been working anyway
every village has one , is yours missing you

topkit

Post #10 by topkit » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:53 pm

I would think at the moment it has way too much counter weight on the back as it's lost part of it's jib and whats left is now hanging down. I have heard rumours that it did not have a light on it that was working, whether the pilot would have seen it doesnt matter Now unfortunately, but there will be a lot of trouble and some big fines if it wasnt working or worse still not fitted. I worked a luffer in Wandsworth not far from the heliport and as soon as it was erected the light went on the end of the jib, if the crane is 200 mtrs tall then you can add another 30 to 50 metres for the jib when it is parkedup in it's out of service position. Whos going up to town to take some pictures once that large telescpic crane arrives?

Return to “Cranes”