Air Control 22RB swing clutches

Discuss cranes here

Topic author
billh

Air Control 22RB swing clutches

Post #1 by billh » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:56 pm

Swinging the air control machine left or right is a bit rough. It is either fully engaged or not at all, no provision to slip the clutch as on a manual lever machine. Is there a way to adjust the air pressure (how many PSI?) so that swing is gentle and more under control?. Machine is also fitted with a swing brake. Any pointers here? Thanks in advance

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Air Control 22RB swing clutches

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:55 pm

billh wrote:Swinging the air control machine left or right is a bit rough. It is either fully engaged or not at all, no provision to slip the clutch as on a manual lever machine. Is there a way to adjust the air pressure (how many PSI?) so that swing is gentle and more under control?. Machine is also fitted with a swing brake. Any pointers here? Thanks in advance

Bill I will try and make some inquiries on your behalf with somebody who knows about these machines; please pm if I don't reply within a couple of weeks cos lots going through my head at the moment, but hopefully I should be able to help you out with this albeit through another person.

Jeremy

Martin Fox
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by Martin Fox » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:23 pm

On the offchance u didnt solve your problem and u still look at the forum, the regular for the air pressure poundage is 40 pound, the regulator is in front of the 3 main control levers in front of the driver, down the gap behind the window.
You only increase this for example if your in travel/propel, if your climbing a steep embankment or the dragline bucket is having hard digging etc and your clutches get hot and start to slip.
The swing-brake should be disengaged when in travel as all it will do in this mode is wear away as it only has effect in swing and will just wear in travel. the sharpness u describe will get less as the swing clutches get hot, but this can be relived till it does by engaging your swingbrake. in the uk when these cranes were widespread the tunnelling men liked the air control better and the manuals for demolition.
The 22rb was always a bit to light to be air and had more success on the 25 and 30RB crane. But dropballing for a long time was easier with air for the driver- less pushing and pulling etc.
hope this helps
Martin

Topic author
billh

Post #4 by billh » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:53 pm

A very late update here! Thank you to all for information. I took Martin's advice and adjusted the air regulator down to 40 psi, it had been at 80. result was much better swing control, though not brilliant.I see there is an air "switch" linked to the swing-neutral-propel lever and this reduces the pressure for swing and up to full pressure for propel if I understand correctly. Thanks again.

Return to “Cranes”