BTD20 at work

Post #1 by martyn williams » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:20 pm

Johm Walker driving a well restored BTD20
[video]http://youtu.be/oHowVWE6Tlc[/video]

widget
Flag: Great Britain

Re: BTD20 at work

Post #2 by widget » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:22 pm

Superb film Martyn, wonderful looking and sounding machine.
What sort of horse power would it be and what sort of revs would the engine be working at, they sound fairly low.
I want to rust out not wear out

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #3 by martyn williams » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:30 pm

I will ask John for more detail on his machine :thumbup:
Martyn

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:14 am

John has said
"The model is ‘C6NFL’ de-rated to 135 flywheel horse power. Pretty much the same engine as the ‘Eagle’ I think"
Regards
Martyn
I repaired a 040 diesel shunting loco fitted with a 280 hp super charged 6 cyl R R engine in it.It had a fluid flywheel that used its diesel supply as convertor oil. A chain drive to the axle, a 35 ton loco with a good turn of speed

widget

Post #5 by widget » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:50 pm

B100 LOADER wrote:John has said
"The model is ‘C6NFL’ de-rated to 135 flywheel horse power. Pretty much the same engine as the ‘Eagle’ I think"
Regards
Martyn
I repaired a 040 diesel shunting loco fitted with a 280 hp super charged 6 cyl R R engine in it.It had a fluid flywheel that used its diesel supply as convertor oil. A chain drive to the axle, a 35 ton loco with a good turn of speed

That sounds impressive Martyn,
Thanks for the info....Ive never seen a converter that runs on diesel, are these common? all the converters ive ever worked on have run on oil.
But then ive worked on plenty of the Lister HR4 engines that have been running with only diesel in the sump due to the lift pump leaking.....
Always amazed me every time i was called out to them tho.... the hirer usually phoned in to say that the oil level was strangely getting higher so could we send someone to have a look :lol:
I want to rust out not wear out

jcb4cx

Post #6 by jcb4cx » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Cat tried the diesel converter in D8,s did not stay long though ;)
every village has one , is yours missing you

Topic author
martyn williams

Post #7 by martyn williams » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:27 pm

The loco was built by Sentinal, you would think diesel fuel is too thin.This loco was moving 1500 ton steel coil trains.
This loco is for sale now.
Martyn

LDK

Post #8 by LDK » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:46 am

jcb4cx wrote:Cat tried the diesel converter in D8,s did not stay long though ;)

Didn't the 19a D9 have a diesel torque?
My dad was on an 8 with that setup in 1968, I seem to remember him saying something about it running hot and being a pain if you ran out of fuel.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #9 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:57 pm

Hi All, :backto: ;)
We had one of these BTD 20s in the fleet where I worked between 1970 and 74.
It was equiped with a blade and thouhgh it was a few years old it was a good reliable tractor. :thumbup:
The only major work I did on it was a track overhaul and gearbox rebuild, all done down in the belly of the machine standing on my head. :doh: :thumbdown:
The tractor was the earlier model, (pre 1973), and the C6NFL RR engine was then rated at 124 bhp.and according to the book which I still have, governed to 1,460 rpm. It was reliable and only required servicing, though it did use a drop of oil.
But then all the Rolls engines did from new. I remember Tom Jenkins boys telling me that the supercharged engines in their 5 Vickers Vigors used at least 2 pints per shift from new,and up to 2 gallons per week, but man, did they move :!: :!: :!:
The 6CNFL we had in a Smith 40/50 crane used oil too, as did the new Rolls units in the CP and Broom Wade 600 and 900 compressors. They never got any better when they were run in either. :o
Fred

tctractors

Post #10 by tctractors » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:49 pm

Just a few verbs on a few bangers,the CAT Diesel Torque drive had a single plate over centre clutch in front of it, so at low idle (Tick over speed) you selected your gear by freeing off the clutch, then engaged the clutch, then finaly poked up the the throttle to full beans, if the engine speed was to high when working the clutch, damage to it (The Clutch) would result, the faster the engine speed the faster the tractor would move so as the load came off the engine, the forward speed increased and managed to catch plenty of pilots out working pushing material over an edge.
BTD20 gearbox repairs were to me like getting the "Black Spot off Blind Pugh" if I could I would cut the top deck plate that covered the main case so just the Gearbox section could be removed, this saved near a days work so you had a bit more strength to face the shaft lock nuts,its like getting the knickers off your Wifes best mate, you want to do it but its Right Tricky?? then the weight of the main shaft is something to marvel, only made easier with padding under your knees and a pillow to put under your forehead as you use this bit to support it all, I would do another 1 just to remind myself how bad they are to fettle.
Last edited by tctractors on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Tractors”