Dowty Hydraulics

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
asicomputer

Dowty Hydraulics

Post #1 by asicomputer » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:19 pm

Well this isn't a problem as such! On our Massey 175 we have some dowty type hydraulics, it is a cobbled on affair from another tractor because ours originally wasn't fitted with one but isn't a bodge as such because it all fits properly and works and looks like it could plausibly be fitted from new. When you look down at the gear box from the seat on the right hand side is a fitting with a lever and a pipe coming out which goes to a dowty fitting which we have used for the post knocker, this is the hydraulic set up we knew about. Today I was changing the coolant ready for winter, and as I was waiting for the water to drain out from rinsing I noticed that there is a second dowty fitting at the back just to the left of the number plate, which goes in to the top left of the gearbox. This intrigued me for 3 reasons, firstly the fact we never noticed it before, secondly how is this second pipe operated, there are no levers to work it and thirdly in theory if you used the 2 dowty couplings with one feeding and one taking back to the tank would it be possible to set up a live hydraulic system, I'm not going to but just out of interest. Hope someone can help out and explain it all!

Adam

frode

Re: Dowty Hydraulics

Post #2 by frode » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:02 pm

That fitting would be in paralell with the hydraulic ram for the lift. Commonly called the trailer tipping pipe. You would need to lock the lift arms down to get oil there. The orginal t-bar is for this purpose. At least this is how it is on my 35.

There is a trick here. You could set up a 2-spool valve with one single-acting and one double acting spool. Feed the valve from the fitting you are using for the post knocler, and be sure the valve is set for this to get oil. Return the oil to the backend. Connect the single-acting spool to the fitting you just found (which goes in paralell with the lift cylinder). Fit quick connects to the double-acting spool. Set the tractor hydraulic to "constant pumping" and never touch them again. You can now use the new spool to control the lift, and you can use the double-acting spool to whatever you need. No need to pull any levers or anything. If you need the draft control just switch the valve under the seat back again and it works like before :)

Topic author
asicomputer

Re: Dowty Hydraulics

Post #3 by asicomputer » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks for the response, it's very interesting! I don't think we'll do that any time soon but it's good to know what can be done.

Adam

Return to “Tractors”