Nuffield Three

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Nuffield Three

Post #1 by XS650 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:00 pm

Spotted this tidy 'oily rag' condition Nuffield Three at a farm sale last Saturday, looking lonely amongst the enormous modern tractors. This is what lies beneath the JCB 2B .
Did BMC used this 3 cylinder engine in any other vehicle?
P1000914.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not all those who wander are lost.

essexpete

Re: Nuffield Three

Post #2 by essexpete » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:51 pm

I wonder if any were sold as industrial units?

lucy7blue

Post #3 by lucy7blue » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:45 pm

hi , i just baught a nuffield 460.The power drive was broken ,they say it hardly happens.I now need a power drive.And havnt a clue how they come out .I believe there must be lots of spares for nuffield but where.Heres my e mail kersiehillfarm@googlemail.com rgds donald

Topic author
XS650

Post #4 by XS650 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:16 pm

Welcome Donald as the revered JCB 3C was built on a Nuffield 4/60 (but without a lot of the twiddly bits :) ) I'M sure somone here will be able to help.
Not all those who wander are lost.

tmc

Post #5 by tmc » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:48 pm

Hi Donald , I've just sent you an e-mail but I'll post here also , just saying that I think it will be the same shaft as 4cyl. Nuffs of the same era and I know my local breakers have a 4/60 at the moment and some Leylands , you will have the postage as well but if you can't find one locally it could get you going , they are
Ron Greets ( Devon ) 01803 812269 good luck .

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #6 by FOWLER MAN » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:24 pm

lucy7blue wrote:hi , i just baught a nuffield 460.The power drive was broken ,they say it hardly happens.I now need a power drive.And havnt a clue how they come out .I believe there must be lots of spares for nuffield but where.Heres my e mail kersiehillfarm@googlemail.com rgds donald

Hi Donald, and welcome.
I changed the PTO shaft on a 4 for a farmer friend years ago. I dont remember much about it except that it was a pretty long shaft. The broken one drew out from the back of the axle housing, and the new shaft went in the same way.
I changed it on the way home from work so it couldn't have taken long and I don't remember any problem.
Fred

lucy7blue

Post #7 by lucy7blue » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:50 pm

FOWLER MAN wrote:
lucy7blue wrote:hi , i just baught a nuffield 460.The power drive was broken ,they say it hardly happens.I now need a power drive.And havnt a clue how they come out .I believe there must be lots of spares for nuffield but where.Heres my e mail kersiehillfarm@googlemail.com rgds donald

Hi Donald, and welcome.
I changed the PTO shaft on a 4 for a farmer friend years ago. I dont remember much about it except that it was a pretty long shaft. The broken one drew out from the back of the axle housing, and the new shaft went in the same way.
I changed it on the way home from work so it couldn't have taken long and I don't remember any problem.
Fred

tmc

Post #8 by tmc » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:35 pm

Hi again Donald , if you are still looking for info about fitting the PTO shaft there is a Nuffield Three/Four
Manual for download on this site !! Just click on 'downloads' at the top of the page , regards , Tim.

Return to “Tractors”