The Mighty Fowler 80.The first and the last..

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

The Mighty Fowler 80.The first and the last..

Post #1 by FOWLER MAN » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:44 am

Hello,
The Fowler 70 and the 80 which replaced it were the FIRST :thumbup: of the more powerfull tractors that they produced. The 1935 80 in the photo. was powered by Fowlers own Freeman Sanders designed 80 h.p. engine. This tractor is fitted with a Vickers winch. Photo. taken 2004.
The 33 is the LAST :thumbdown: of the Fowlers The 1956 33 in the photo. has the Leyland 680 125 h.p. engine. It is my own tractor and I have a Vickers made winch to fit this machine too.Photo. taken 2004.
Any more hotos. of bigger fowlers in preservation. :?:
img067.jpg

Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BulldozerD11

Re: The Mighty Fowler 80.The first and the last..

Post #2 by BulldozerD11 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:33 am

Hi Fred saw that huge Fowler with winch (machine is ex Radio transmitter station ) - at Bloxham last year (photos are on other pc as this one full)

There are some more challenger photos of mine on here & some on my Tractor Wiki site - http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Fowler#Fowler_Crawler_Tractors

I've got more to upload when i sort them out, as need to create pages for several of the models with some data on each. Lot of steam engines to do first to finish that section.

Dave
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #3 by FOWLER MAN » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi Dave.
Thanks for your reply. I have already enjoyed and contributed to your Tractor Wiki, thanks again.

I look forward to seeing your other stuff in due course.

I have written a comprehensive history of the development of The Challenger Range.Stuff you will not find elsewhere.
Lots of information I have read in respected publications is not strictly speaking accurate.
I have had a long association with Fowlers and I thought I'd like to get the record straight.
It's a bit long but I will post it if anyone is interested.

Fred.

DaveS

Post #4 by DaveS » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:14 pm

FOWLER MAN wrote: but I will post it if anyone is interested.

Fred.

I can assure you, we certainly are interested!

:D

Dave. S.

XS650
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by XS650 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:18 pm

Second that ,
'not very good compared to a Cat' seems to be the general received wisdom :D
Not all those who wander are lost.

BulldozerD11

Post #6 by BulldozerD11 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:10 pm

FOWLER MAN wrote:Hi Dave.
Thanks for your reply. I have already enjoyed and contributed to your Tractor Wiki, thanks again.

I look forward to seeing your other stuff in due course.

I have written a comprehensive history of the development of The Challenger Range.Stuff you will not find elsewhere.
Lots of information I have read in respected publications is not strictly speaking accurate.
I have had a long association with Fowlers and I thought I'd like to get the record straight.
It's a bit long but I will post it if anyone is interested.

Fred.

:claphands: Thanks Fred i was not sure if it was you. I visit lots of sites so canot always remember which i saw something on :doh:

Always interested in more info to read on here on different machines ad manufacturers.

And to find information expand the wiki to widen the knowledge base and record the history of less favoured makes before they/it disappears. (I've probably spread too wide as i get side tracked, but the pages are designed as a start for others to expand like wikipedia). I could add a lot more by just copy and pasting or using photos from other sites, but thats cheating.

:backto:
A few Fowler photos from the other PC;

IMG_5751.JPG

IMG_6190.JPG

IMG_6192.JPG

IMG_3970.JPG

IMG_3948.JPG

IMG_3866.JPG

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #7 by FOWLER MAN » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:58 pm

Hello all,
Thanks for your posts,great pictures Dave.
I bid on a Challenger 3 at auction once, didn't get it, saw it in Jerremy Walkers yard a month or two later. Its probably still there rusting away. Wish I'd bid a bit more, I may have been the proud owner now.
I'll try to get that Challenger history on soon.

Fred

Topic author
FOWLER MAN

Post #8 by FOWLER MAN » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:52 pm

Hello All,
Heres that Challenger history as promised. :bow: Sorry but it bgoes on a bit. :? Lots of useless inrormation. :dizzy:

Fred
img101.jpg

BulldozerD11

Post #9 by BulldozerD11 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:03 pm

:claphands: Thanks Fowler Man :bow:

Will have to read it later as too small or too big on screen :dizzy: have to look with another veier that has variable zoom (the wonders of this modern technology) :doh:

Just got one of the magazines and it has an article on Fowler challengers :o

Like buses 2 come along at once

The one from Jeremy Walkers yard could be one in SE Davis's yard as his Cat 983 came from Jeremy Walker.

Dave

Scooby
Flag: Great Britain

Post #10 by Scooby » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:38 pm

Hello Bulldozer. Not sure what you are using to access the net. but if you want to make the resolution bigger hold down the Control (Ctrl) key on your keyboard and work the wheel of your mouse. But you will have to move it back again when you have read the documents.

And thanks Fowler Man. Great pics and a good contribution.
Six up front .............................means plenty of grunt.

Image Image

Return to “Tractors”