muir-hill tractors

Discuss tractors here

DaveS

Re: muir-hill tractors

Post #11 by DaveS » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:04 pm

allistairc123 wrote:
has anyone ever seen a modified 4wheel steer muir hill? apparantly the front axle trumpets will bolt on directly inplace of rear ones on ford rear end? would be interesting to see!

There was a dealer in the north of England did the same thing to MB Tracs. The turning circle was incredible!

Dave. S.

Topic author
allistairc123

Post #12 by allistairc123 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:23 pm

DaveS wrote:
allistairc123 wrote:
has anyone ever seen a modified 4wheel steer muir hill? apparantly the front axle trumpets will bolt on directly inplace of rear ones on ford rear end? would be interesting to see!

There was a dealer in the north of England did the same thing to MB Tracs. The turning circle was incredible!

Dave. S.

its strange the the manufacturer didnt offer it as an option as the axles should be srtong enough as they are used in the loading shovels

DaveS

Post #13 by DaveS » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:40 pm

allistairc123 wrote:its strange the the manufacturer didnt offer it as an option as the axles should be srtong enough as they are used in the loading shovels

Perhaps just lack of demand. In many applications it can actually cause problems, for the same reasons as smaller articulated tractors never took off; the rear end moves too much in relation to a towed/mounted implement.

But with a lock-out on the rear axle, and then being able to re-engage it when needed would certainly have helped at the headlands. :D

JCB did a 4 x 4 x 4 Fastrac. Ideal for mini-roundabouts!

Dave. S.

RichardJW~

Post #14 by RichardJW~ » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:36 pm

In the case of a 4 w steer tractor look what bolts on to the front axle trumpet housings (not a bustin' lot) and then look what mounts on to the rear axle trumpet housings (rear lower link arms, sway restrictors, cab supports)......for the loading shovel I just wonder if there was enough room to allow them to bolt the frame down to it, perhaps they weren't at the stage of just fixing to the centre housing......just a theory

Robban_C

Post #15 by Robban_C » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:56 pm

DaveS wrote:
allistairc123 wrote:

Dave. S.

I have actually thought about doing that on my MB-Trac but we all know about lack of time, don´t we?
The axels are identical front and rear, only the trumpets need to be changed and better turning radius would be a great improvement, especially on an MB mainly used for towing.
Volvo EC45 PRO -06
Volvo EC35 -01
MB-Trac 800 turbo
Bigab 10-14 hook lift trailer
MF 3165, Poor Ferguson

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbanxC

RichardJW~

Post #16 by RichardJW~ » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:07 am

Topic author
allistairc123

Post #17 by allistairc123 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:35 pm

here is my mum and dad playing on their muir hills, the 171 makes light work of the fully mounted 6furrow!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nT8uRdQNAg

Reborn Binder

Post #18 by Reborn Binder » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:57 pm

Hello there,

glad i have stumbled across this.

My Dad has just bought himself a Muir Hill 171 fitted with a Boughton winch. I think it would have originally been a military vehicle.

Its fairly complete and in reasonableish order, but being a stranger to them we could do with some pointers.

It has a 10 speed transmission, 5 + reverse on the centee stick and high-low on right side of the cab, but, there are some other things we cant seem to work out yet.

When sitting in the seat, behind your left heel (clutch leg) there is a lever which mover straight up and down, is this the 4WD or are they permanent 4WD? is the small pedal between the clutch and brake pedal the Diff Lock?

It has Perkins V8 fitted, is it an At510 or a 540?

Did the Ag spec ones have air brakes or is this an Army spec option?

Also anyone know of where i could get a window for the cab door?

Topic author
allistairc123

Post #19 by allistairc123 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:13 pm

Reborn Binder wrote:Hello there,

glad i have stumbled across this.

My Dad has just bought himself a Muir Hill 171 fitted with a Boughton winch. I think it would have originally been a military vehicle.

Its fairly complete and in reasonableish order, but being a stranger to them we could do with some pointers.

It has a 10 speed transmission, 5 + reverse on the centee stick and high-low on right side of the cab, but, there are some other things we cant seem to work out yet.

When sitting in the seat, behind your left heel (clutch leg) there is a lever which mover straight up and down, is this the 4WD or are they permanent 4WD? is the small pedal between the clutch and brake pedal the Diff Lock?

It has Perkins V8 fitted, is it an At510 or a 540?

Did the Ag spec ones have air brakes or is this an Army spec option?

Also anyone know of where i could get a window for the cab door?

yes, the push pull lever behind your left heel is the 4wd dis-engage,
its a 540 perkins
the air brakes must be an army spec standard are conventional hydraulic
you could get a window cut by any plant glass replacement companies..google it
yes, middle pedal is diff lock for both axles.

can you post some pictures? is it a series 2 or 3?

Topic author
allistairc123

Post #20 by allistairc123 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:15 pm

allistairc123 wrote:
DaveS wrote:
allistairc123 wrote:

Dave. S.

its strange the the manufacturer didnt offer it as an option as the axles should be srtong enough as they are used in the loading shovels

i have since seen a 4 wheel steer muir hill turn up on ebay!. it is possable!

Return to “Tractors”