Fowler VF and TS 69 Hexatrac

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
Fowler VF

Fowler VF and TS 69 Hexatrac

Post #1 by Fowler VF » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:33 pm

Have seen some photos and discussion re TS 69 ploughs on this board. Thought you might like to see just how much a little 40hp crawler will pull.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Fowler VF and TS 69 Hexatrac

Post #2 by Martyn Henley » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:39 pm

Hi Nick ..and a big warm welcome to CMN :thumbs_up:

Martyn

Nick Drew

Post #3 by Nick Drew » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:41 pm

Not another Nick !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though welcome to the board Nick :thumbs_up:

Nick :P ;)

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:09 pm

Wow! Does beg the question of what is sometimes achieved by great heavy wheeled tractors.
Is that a 6 or 7f, what width furrows and what type of soil are you on?
Regards ep

On second look it looks like a 6f?

Topic author
Fowler VF

Post #5 by Fowler VF » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:25 am

6 furrows, 12" wide. On that day we were about 9 to 10" deep as the ground was soft and the landwheels were sinking in. YL 183 bodies. Medium loam soil but that part of the field was a bit sticky. In fairness this is a bottom gear only job, she handles it fine; trying 2nd gear makes it really bark and whistle and the driver gets completely covered in soot as opposed to just the traditional Marshall Measles of spots of oil. Then again 40 hp is about all they ever put out when they were new, so just how many are still pulling after 60 years is another question!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RichardJW~

Post #6 by RichardJW~ » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:47 am

essexpete wrote:Wow! Does beg the question of what is sometimes achieved by great heavy wheeled tractors.

More productivity & less operator fatigue.....but I doubt a new John Deere will will quadruple its value after 60 yrs :lol:

essexpete

Post #7 by essexpete » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:15 am

Yes Richard, having once spent a whole autumn on an old IH BTD6 discing (and not sure whether or not it was better or worse without cab)
I do remember hankering after a Q cab and radio at the time!

martyn williams

Post #8 by martyn williams » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:50 pm

Hello Nick
I like those Fowlers,great engine beat.And they hold their value well. :thumbs_up:

Topic author
Fowler VF

Post #9 by Fowler VF » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:44 am

Engine beat is one way of describing it, rock and roll is nearer the mark!! The bounce on a Marshall wheel tractor causes the whole tractor to rock back and forward; on a track machine most of that bounce seems to be absorbed by the driver. That and the starting routine means that a few hours driving this and you're stiff for a week. Since the engine rebuild we have only used the cartridge start a couple of times (mostly just for fun). You need courage and determination to swing the beast, you have to put your back into it and get it turning over fairly rapidly, knowing all the time that the decompressor is going to kick out and then the moment of truth; either she fires the right way or the driver goes back up over the hedge. Still, provided you've had enough breakfast you never get a flat battery!

John Gaunt
Flag: Great Britain

Post #10 by John Gaunt » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:24 pm

Hi Nick,
That's a great looking outfit you have there, looks like a late TS69 with the oil bath trip. I have one of those on EPIC bodies that I pull behing my Cat D7, although it could manage a much bigger plough. I imagine the YL183 wearing parts are getting difficult to find these days. I stocked up on EPIC wearing parts a few years ago and havn't regretted it !
I've also got a Marshall Series 2 Mk 2 wheeled tractor, and can relate to your comments about starting the beast.
I remember my son driving it at a local rally, and almost stalling it when he didn't dip the clutch quick enough. The engine was rocking backwards and forwards... it fired and the flywheel went clockwise for a turn, then fired again and went ANTIclockwise for a turn, then fired and did a turn clockwise etc... Luckily it finally made up it's mind which way to go, and also luckily, it was the correct way, phew !
For those not famailar with the Marshall (and other similar) engines, being single cylinder 2 stroke diesels, they will run in either direction, so you get 3f and 1r gear or 1f and 3r :dizzy:
Last edited by John Gaunt on Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tractors”