Setting valve clearance on Fiat 650

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
r.scholtz
Flag: South Africa

Setting valve clearance on Fiat 650

Post #1 by r.scholtz » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:48 am

Hi

Can anybody assist with the procedure for setting the valve clearances on a 3 cylinder Fiat 650 tractor?

Thanks!

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Setting valve clearance on Fiat 650

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:06 pm

Hi and welcome to the site :wave: I cannot give you the valve clearance as I don't know it and I have not worked on one of these machines, but as a rule of thumb; remove the engines rocker cover, make sure that the engine stop is engaged so that it cannot start up, carefully rotate the engine until you see that any of the cylinders has the two rocker levers free which means that cylinder is on the compression stroke, then set the valve clearance for that cylinder, repeat the process for the other cylinders. Some engines may have a greater clearance for the exhaust valves so you would have to look and see which part of the manifolds align with each rocker lever, for example the Cummins NH/NT range of engines which I was used to working on had an exhaust valve clearance of 0.023" and an intake clearance of 0.011"
Hope that makes sense.

Jeremy

Topic author
r.scholtz
Flag: South Africa

Re: Setting valve clearance on Fiat 650

Post #3 by r.scholtz » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:55 pm

Thanks Jeremy - makes sense!!

Here is a nice site for getting specs - https://www.bareco.com.au/files-topindex , select tractor type and then Technical Specification for Journal, Torque and Tappet settings.

Fiat is 0.010" for inlet and exhaust

BR

Return to “Tractors”