Field Marshall Series 1

Discuss tractors here

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Field Marshall Series 1

Post #11 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:38 am

Thanks Carl; yes that valve seat is in poor condition, part of the cast head though so no great surprise there.

Jeremy

mechman
Flag: Great Britain

Post #12 by mechman » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:09 pm

Hi Carl
Could that head be machined to take a valve seat insert? Some good work going on there by the way.
Norm.

Topic author
RUSTY_RELICS

Post #13 by RUSTY_RELICS » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:55 am

Hello Norm,

Yes, I suppose theres nothing to stop a insert being fitted, I am just going to re-grind the seat in this head because it just needs a clean up and lap it in with some grinding paste. It has taken all these years to get to this state and I'm sure I won't wear it out ....
I have an old Black & Decker valve seat grinder which is as old as the ark, but still gets the job done.

Thanks

Topic author
RUSTY_RELICS

Post #14 by RUSTY_RELICS » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:07 pm

Hi all,
I finally found the valve seat grinder and lightly buzzed the valve seat to clean it up.
I hopefully will get the cylinder head on tomorrow evening, I have already mucked out the lubrication system and a changed the oil (sae 20) and filter.

Thanks
Carl Hargreaves

Jeremy Rowland

Post #15 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:45 am

Carl that seat certainly looks better now but still needs lapping in with a bit of grinding paste and the old rubber sucker stick, you should see the surface finish change colour slightly as it laps in. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
RUSTY_RELICS

Post #16 by RUSTY_RELICS » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:34 am

Hi All,

The progress on the Series 1 has hit the buffers. I built it all back up and when it came time to prime the oil pump the handle has lost the pin that connects the priming handle to the oil pump. This could explian why someone has half-heartly fitted a new end cap and cobbled it together ??? This now means that i will have to take the flywheel off to remove the cover to then gain access to the oil pump to see what is going on in there. I really didn't want to remove the flywheel, i have had bad experiences with Field-Marshall flywheels working on my dads series 2 ! But i suppose its better to have found out now rather than later .....

Anyway on a brighter Note, as mentioned previously, we had our open evenng last Wednesday and it went really well. Around 200+ people showed up and we raised £441.11 for the local Neonatal baby unit at Ormskirk hospital. Which wasn't bad for a few hours after tea on a Wednesday evening. The North-West Pre war car club came to. A good night was has by all

Here is a link to the pictures from the open evevning >>>>>>> https://photos.app.goo.gl/AoMDjpQx7rEi5WWZ6

:backto: Now the open evening is out of the way I can get back to finishing the Series 1.

Thanks,
Carl Hargreaves

Jeremy Rowland

Post #17 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:21 pm

Well done on the open evening :claphands: sorry to hear about the Series 1; mind you at least as you say it was better to find it when you did and not later as you say, good luck with it let us know how you get on. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
RUSTY_RELICS

Post #18 by RUSTY_RELICS » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:41 pm

Hi all,

Well today I bit the bullet and made a heavy duty slide hammer to get them flywheel keys out. My retired engineer pal was down today to lend a hand. The slide hammer gets welded on to the gib keys, the key ends up scrap, I had to drill a snapped key out of my dad's series 2 which wasn't much fun. We ended up bursting the flywheel pulling it off over the broken piece with a 30 ton porta power. It then took us 2 years of adverts in the magazines before we could find a replacement. With that in mind I really didn't want to mess with the flywheel on my series 1, but luck was on my side this afternoon. Thank god !
A picture speaks a 1000 words so here we are ...
Thanks,
Carl Hargreaves

Jeremy Rowland

Post #19 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:26 pm

Well done Carl :claphands: here's a suggestion when you fit the new gib keys, before you actually fit them why don't you drill and tap them then if they had to come out again you could put a bolt into the back of the key and weld onto that? Just an idea. :think:

Jeremy

Topic author
RUSTY_RELICS

Post #20 by RUSTY_RELICS » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:41 pm

evening all,

Jeremy,
my dad tried this method on his series 2 a few years ago and the key broke with half being stuck in the flywheel and No way of getting it out. We reluctantly had to just pull the flywheel with a 30 ton ram and it cracked the back side of the flywheel.

Today, I got into the oil pump I found the little pin which had fallen out of the priming handle, it looks like a piece of a screw driver ?! The top of the oil pump had also worked itself loose so it was lucky I found it when I did ....
Someone has been in there before me because the case cover was held on with odd nuts and washers.
While the case is open I am going to replace the bearings in the gouvnor. They aren't bad but do have a little wear. it would be silly not to do them while she's opened up. I am also replacing the case cover oil seal, but I'll have to order one. I am posting lots of pictures to help anyone in the future, I had to learn this the hard way. But like they say the best way to find out about something is to buy one ......
Thanks,
Carl Hargreaves

Return to “Tractors”