Zetor 5711 chuffing?!

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
SiH
Flag: France

Zetor 5711 chuffing?!

Post #1 by SiH » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:09 pm

Evening all,
Got a bit of a problem with my 5711 pressuring number 2 cylinder. It all started a few months back as I saw dots of oil landing on the bonnet while using a sawbench,and it was smoking more than normal too.
I took the rocker covers off all cylinders, and while pulling the engine over by hand noticed the sound from number 2 cylinder sounds different to the others. So I whipped the head off, all was ok apart from being cruded up a little, but the exhaust valve was stiff to move in its guide. I took the valve out cleaned it all checked for straightness, (same with the inlet valve),and with the pushrods, re-lapped it in, and put it all back together. Checked all the valve clearances and adjusted them if needed.
Tried to start it once all back together, and number 2 head was chuffing when cranking over,with smoke coming out from the tiny gap between it and number 1 cylinder? Surely cant be the head gasket, as it was fine when I took it off? I didnt continue to try and run it incase it damaged anything. I’m stumped,but doesnt look good to me.
Any ideas lads?
cry

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Zetor 5711 chuffing?!

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Hi Simon this may sound like a daft question but I assume that you changed the head gasket? You should always change a head gasket once it has been on an engine because it has been compressed when the head bolts are tightened down.
Next thing to look at assuming you changed the gasket what did the fuel injector for that cylinder look like was there a 'clacking' noise from the engine like a loose tappet because that could be diesel knock which would indicate an injector problem.
One last question was there any seals fitted to the valve stems and did you change them? Just a few questions to try and help you.

Jeremy

Topic author
SiH
Flag: France

Post #3 by SiH » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks Jeremy- it looks more like the head geasket is the problem,fingers crossed! so I’ll whip it off when I get a chance and start again. ;)

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:08 am

SiH wrote:Thanks Jeremy- it looks more like the head geasket is the problem,fingers crossed! so I’ll whip it off when I get a chance and start again. ;)

Make sure that the head is not damaged by where the gasket is blowing and that the surface of the block where the heads sits is free from damage, clean them up with some fine grit emery cloth before you fit the new gasket, put some rag into the bore to stop any bits of crap getting down there while you clean the top of the block. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #5 by Mrsmackpaul » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:30 pm

Also may want to try some copper spray on the block and head to help to get a better seal

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Return to “Tractors”