Ford low profile cab wiring

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Ford low profile cab wiring

Post #1 by hair bear » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:30 pm

The problem started with the faliure of the lh side lights, both front and rear and pin 5 in the trailer socket. They became dim, and finaly went out. Fuse checked ok, bulbs checked ok. The lh sidelight circuit appears dead. Indicators and brake lights on that side work fine, rules out an earth issue. If I put 12v to pin 5 in the trailer socket to back feed then the lights work so the problem appears to be between the fuse box and the supply to the lh lights. There was a 17 way plug/socket under the dash which when investigated was very badly corroded, and after some attempted and failed remedial work was removed and bypassed, solving some other issues but had no effect on the lh sidelights. So, the question is, is there another plug/socket somewhere in the cab frame that has corroded or parted company?
I'm very tempted to splice another wire into the front sidelight fitting and run it back to the fuse box but as the wiring is within the frame it's not going to be easy or straightforward and as this tractor is in daily use if there is a chance of an easier or correct fix without too much downtime I'd be interested to know.
My experiences with Ford wiring in the past suggest trying to trace by colour coding is a non starter as the wires can change colour completely when passing through an unseen connector. I recently did some work on an 8360 where the work light wires changed from blue+ and white- to black+ and red- through a connector, I did check and this is apparently correct???! Even the 17 way plug that was removed had 4 wires that didn't match.
Any help or input would be appreciated.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

essexpete

Re: Ford low profile cab wiring

Post #2 by essexpete » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:49 pm

Sounds like you have more or less cracked the problem to a fairly localised area.
It might be worth asking on here: https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php

Could you just bypass that piece of the loom with a new piece?

Topic author
hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Ford low profile cab wiring

Post #3 by hair bear » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:16 pm

Hi Pete,
I'd like to think I'm almost there but it would be nice to know I'm not going to spend several hours running a wire just to have someone say that there's a loose plug tucked into a corner somewhere.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

Return to “Tractors”