IH B250

Discuss tractors here

Topic author
Dave K

IH B250

Post #1 by Dave K » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:22 am

I inherited an IH B250 that hasn't been run in 4 years. I'm told it was working fine when put away, and it's been sitting in an unheated garage. After such a long nap, what preparations should I take before trying to start it? I'm new to tractors and don't have a clue beyond what's in the manual.

Dave K

Jeremy Rowland

Re: IH B250

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:34 am

Hi Dave welcome to CMN :wave: If I was in your position the first job I would do would be to check the oil and water, then carefully try turning the engine over by hand, you only need to move it a little just to confirm that it has not suffered a standing seizure although if its been undercover I suspect that it would turn freely.
You will need a fully charged battery and clean battery terminals, I would be tempted to bleed some fresh fuel through although this may not be necessary, many old engines will start after long storage periods, good luck anyway let us know how you get on?

Jeremy

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #3 by Mrsmackpaul » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:24 pm

Im not quite as cautious as Jeremy I would just check water and oil see if theres fuel in the tank and chuck a good battery in those B 250's need plenty of heat on the glow plugs Im fairly sure
I would have a look at the glass bowls on the fuel filters if it has them to see if they are clean
The little Inters like that I have driven have a perforated knob thing on the dash and you put your thumb on that and hold the key on heat till your thumbs hot then start them this may take 30 or 40 seconds

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

hair bear
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by hair bear » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:25 pm

The best thing would be to give me your address and I'll come and take it away. There, problem solved!
Seriously though, Hello and Welcome. As well as Jeremy and Paul have suggested, be aware that it may be positive earth so if it needs a bit of extra woof with jump leads make doubly sure of your connections and that the vehicles aren't touching. Plenty of heat, full throttle and go for it. It may well only fire on one or two from cold but hold the throttle and it will pick up on three then all four. Don't be suprised if everything dissappears in a large cloud of black smoke as it picks up, it'll clear once she's running. One other thing to consider is that the clutch release may be stuck. Before trying to get a gear it may be worth making sure you have a clear run out in front, and that the engine stop works!
Good luck, keep us posted, and of course PICS!
Rob.
If a LandRover doesn't leak oil, it's run out.

hair bear

Post #5 by hair bear » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:32 pm

Bit of an afterthought, you might want to change the oil in the air cleaner just in case it's turned to sludge, you don't want to be sucking that up!

essexpete

Post #6 by essexpete » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:17 pm

Don't forget to film the start up, it might be like this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3tKLqz8EtY

hair bear

Post #7 by hair bear » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:39 am

Love it! That brings back memories of a B275 I used every day.There is a bit of Youtube of a B275 startup but if you watch carefully you'll see that rather than put the camera down he lets go of the heat before hitting the starter. I always held on to the heat until it was smooth on all four. We used to reckon 15 - 30 seconds of heat before turning over but you'll soon get a feel for what your machine wants.

Topic author
Dave K

Post #8 by Dave K » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:44 pm

Thanks guys! According to the missus I now have to wait until spring, but I'll try to post a pic or vid.
Dave

hair bear

Post #9 by hair bear » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:55 pm

Why spring? A new toy you're not allowed to play with? You'll need it over the winter for clearing snow, moving fallen trees, and for wifey's benefit, accessing shopping supplies through flooded countryside. Also, it would give you a chance to rewrite your christmas list...
Ok, that's the best excuses I can come up with.
Anyone else?!

international regular
Flag: Vietnam

Post #10 by international regular » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:24 pm

get it started if it starts in the winter, it will start in the summer try the hyd (cant spell the hole word all the best )

Return to “Tractors”